2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
this dratted pond between us! :) otherwise i could send you about 20 various patterned mostly white beans. most of them have come from grow outs of a bean i called Yellow Soldier but most times i've planted it i do not get YS back - i may not even have any YS left, but i've not completely gone through all the white bean boxes and containers yet. there are some other white patterned bean lines i've done some grow outs with that were interesting to me but not any longer. very nice beans.

Pheasant and Spotted Pheasant are both from those but i can never be sure who the parents might be. Yellow Eye is grown here often and Top Notch so between those two i do have a fair amount of white patterns showing up and then the white ends from Painted Pony and Appaloosa show up too. Pheasant is a very nice looking bean and is the only one i've worked on getting it more stable. Spotted Pheasant came from Pheasant grow out. i personally have very little interest in white beans. @Bluejay77 has more of a preference for those than i do. :)

Indeed, in that case the ponds can be really annoying :)

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just got an email today as well!! A tomato and a broccoli and cauliflower. I am loaded up with Network beans and also some non networks from Russ. IDK if i habe room for anything else lol
@Boilergardener I ordered from SSE on January 19th and just got an email saying the seeds shipped this morning, or most likely, the label was printed this morning. One lettuce, two corns, one bean (Lina Sisco's Bird Egg) and one pepper. This was from the "commercial" side and not the member exchange.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal The Vzice Speckled Wax are very pretty. I have some, but it is 10 year old seed that hasn't been stored well. Will try and grow some this year.
It can be surprising how well old beans seeds can germinate. I had tried some this past summer that were from 2016, which weren't even in a jar for a couple years (were a bowl) and much to my surprise they still all sprouted.

Welcome to the forum @Jack Holloway ! :welcome

It's always so great to have new bean growers here!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Misnaming (or renaming) is a pet peeve of mine.

You should be able to rotate the image by clicking on it to open your editor. I did so by copying your image to my desk top:

1643929102177.png

This shows how easy it is to misname something. I tried copy and paste the image to see if it will show up in my post instead of as a link, That may not work. I have no idea where the spelling got changed from Karachaganak to Karchaganack. Artorius recenty had a different spelling for it. It's so easy to do, especially if you go phonetically.

When I named Karachaganak I thought it was the Kazakh word for dragon. Now I'm not sure, it may be the name of a specific dragon in a Kazakh legend. Or I may totally be off base as to the meaning.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I could provide you with as much information on those two soybeans as you want - considering I am probably the original source. There are photos & descriptions of both in the 2021 bean thread. :lol: Both are in the most Northern-adapted soybean maturity group (000) and will grow anywhere you can grow dry beans. My guess is that your source obtained them through Victory Seeds, who obtained them from a grower in Colorado, who obtained them from me. Victory still offers a couple of mine; but may not be growing much of their own seed, since their soybean selection has diminished greatly.

On a more serious note... this is a great example of how variety names can become corrupted as they pass through multiple hands. The correct name for one of those soybeans is GL 2216-84. That would be the one with the very high dry protein content (57.9%). Victory Seeds is most likely the source of the error, since they list it as GL 2216/18 in their archive:
Victory Seeds soybean waiting list
Ironically, they also list USDA PI 603149 in the variety description... which had they checked, would have revealed the correct name. I see other misspellings there (including An,dunscaja, which I also grew last year) so I'm almost afraid to comb through the entire list. :idunno

Misnaming (or renaming) is a pet peeve of mine. I spent a year going through the late Robert Lobitz's database & GRIN data to clean up all of the errors in SSE's soybean listings, and just recently (with SSE's help) found documentation to correct a cowpea that had been traded under the wrong name for over 15 years. Such misnaming not only causes a cultivar to be circulated under different names, it disconnects seeds from their proper history. Typos can happen; but since a seed company can promulgate errors widely, they should be extra careful to catch those. I'll be communicating with Victory to politely suggest corrections to their listings.

Oh, and where do such odd soybean names come from? Many of the soybeans in the USDA's gene bank were transferred from other gene banks; in the case of GL 2216/84, that is the accession# assigned by the seed bank in Gatersleben, Germany. It was originally collected (presumably by them) in North Korea.
Lol! She did get them from there! :lol: What good luck for me to have gone straight to the source with questions about them!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 46989

This shows how easy it is to misname something. I tried copy and paste the image to see if it will show up in my post instead of as a link, That may not work. I have no idea where the spelling got changed from Karachaganak to Karchaganack. Artorius recenty had a different spelling for it. It's so easy to do, especially if you go phonetically.

When I named Karachaganak I thought it was the Kazakh word for dragon. Now I'm not sure, it may be the name of a specific dragon in a Kazakh legend. Or I may totally be off base as to the meaning.

It's not my packet, it was sent to me, but I am imagine this person got it from the Bean Collector Window where I believe it is spelled with the 'ck' ending.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
And of course, there are the misnamings that come from the fact that not all seed savers speak the same language. I remember how for a while I thought there was a tomato called "Black Crimea" because someone had tried to translate "Krim" and got it off.

And while I do feel that mis- or re- naming a variety is confusing, I think it is equally confusing to keep the name when it no longer is really accurate to the variety. I changed Fort Portal Mixed to Fort Portal Violet because it wasn't mixed anymore. I prefer to use the term lablab bean over the more popular hyacinth bean because it can be confusing when you are talking about types that are not purple. Cow pea covers more accurately than black eyed pea (I DO know people who call all cow peas black eyed peas, even if they aren't black eyed.) (Plus of course, the are Pisum peas that could technically be described as black eyed as well, and at least one [Black Eyed Susan] is).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another bean that I got in my seed mail the other day was 'Monaco Musso Niriu', white with a brownish/blackish small splotch over the eye, sort of like Monstrance. The lady included it as a little bonus because I had mentioned my interest in her soybean because of its' high protein content; apparently this bean has the highest protein of all her pole beans. I've tried to do a few searches but haven't yet come up with much.

Latest posts