2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would pull them all up and have a look see at the roots. It may give you the answer as to why they aren't thriving. Look even inside the lower stem and see if it's hollow or red. Beans when sprouting (as well as growing though not so strongly) release very specific chemicals into the surrounding air, which are very attractive to some pests. The chemicals form long, hyphenated names so i'd have to look them up to list it here. However, different varieties release these chemicals in varying proportions so some are more vulnerable, some much less so.
I will try pulling a couple of the plants up and do an inspection. They aren't going to produce anything anyway. My Rio Zape is about in the same condition this year also.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you I saw a chili mix today that had Jacob's Cattle, Soldier, and a light-colored kidney bean.

Personally, I've not used any of my homegrown beans for chili. If I'd grown them in large quantities it'd be different, but I like them plain or cooked with garlic.

Pintos* are difficult to grow here. I'm trialing three pinto-types and am absolutely enamored with one of them (GaGa Hut). Even the pre-soaked seed was attractive -- they swelled up large and plump! Fingers crossed that they are delicious, because I'd like it to be a forever bean in my garden!

*DH & I were raised on pintos and have had lots of chili made with them

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No this grower did not say anything about it's maturity. I'm not sure that the grower had ever grown the bean either. Grower was from Apalachin, New York which is about the same lattitude as Shaumburg, Illinois. They are also in hardiness zones 5b and and 6a. Probably right where the two zones meet. They probably have a bit longer growing season than I do.
Im at the line of 5/6 also. Sort of odd they just are not putting on flowers. Plenty of season yet to go i hope i get lucky

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK bean experts, What beans do your grow (to save the dried beans) to make chili?

anything you like. :)

i have some specific beans i used to grow a lot of that were firm and would not fall apart even after many hours of cooking. i've tried the past few years to replenish my supply but these attempts have not succeeded so i'm not sure i'll be able to keep these in my rotation. sadly so.

i thought Huey was going to be a replacement but Huey is not a firm long cooking bean.

we'll see how things go this season - i may be able to reselect them from the Peregion bean blend i planted or a few plants out of about a hundred seeds that managed to sprout and grow.

the traditional bean used here for my family was the light red kidney bean, canned ones, i only grew them a few seasons before deciding that for the space there were other beans that did better. my dark and light red kidney bean growing just wasn't as predictable as i desired.

currently the beans i have on hand that will likely be used for chili are small red kidney beans a variety called Red Ryder, but now that i think about it most of my Red Ryder beans this year may have trampled or eaten by deer as they are a bulk bean and i planted them outside the fence. no worries on losing these though as i do have many lbs of them and also many samples held back for planting.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Boilergardener we sound similar in our desires to grow something different than what we grew up eating a lot of. for me the navy pea beans and great northern beans were almost the only kinds of beans we ate for many years and that includes the canned beans we would buy from the grocery store that were made from those same beans (and still are in some cases - but i am glad to see more variety in canned beans the past 10 years).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@bluejay you have some GORGEOUS beans in your collection, and it would be hard to pick favourites, but after shelling my first crispy nb Rotebeerbohne bean pods today... I would honestly say this just might be my favourite bush bean, at least in the top 5. I'm posting a few pics to best capture the colouring.
20220811_180358.jpg

20220811_180157.jpg

Ugandan Bimba - nb
20220811_171521.jpg

20220811_171540.jpg

Sycamore Mascara - nb
This is another real beauty, but VERY difficult to get a good photo of because the colours are nuanced. The stripes are quite purple, and the base is a wonderful creamy coffee beige. Such a unique look. These were from rock hard pods and they are totally dry though they look a bit 'freshly shelled'.
20220811_161437.jpg

Irish Conners - nb
It is not quite as smooth as I like dried beans to finish, but it may not grow in that jelly bean shape. The seeds are a bit like saddles. The dried pods are unusual, they are a bit like snow pea shells. Wide and flat, with the beans spaced well inside.
20220811_175534.jpg

I'm posting another picture of nb MB bean, the last pic was too burgundy. This is closer to reality. It still a pink colour, just darker.
20220811_180718.jpg

20220811_180734.jpg

The beans for tonight's dinner, Dragon Tongue a.k.a Dragon Langerie.
20220811_163612.jpg

Karachaganack & pod
20220811_170820.jpg

Last edited:

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Boilergardener we sound similar in our desires to grow something different than what we grew up eating a lot of. for me the navy pea beans and great northern beans were almost the only kinds of beans we ate for many years and that includes the canned beans we would buy from the grocery store that were made from those same beans (and still are in some cases - but i am glad to see more variety in canned beans the past 10 years).
Yes i agree! I never really liked red kidney beans, because it was always red kidneys in chili and i Sort of got burnt out on the red kidneys and im fortunate to find the Network and this page! Ive learned quite alot so far. There are some international or hispanic stores, supermarkets that do carry alot of interesting beans some pink ones, mayacoba, etc.
I think the midwest usa years and years ago they only had access to a few kinds of dry beans like you have mentioned and not much variety like we have now

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK bean experts, What beans do your grow (to save the dried beans) to make chili?

I thought real chili didn't have beans in it. :hide
The depth of sacrilege to a chili-lover would be not beans, but macaroni. :hide

I love both beans & home-grown kernel corn in my chili, and fresh peppers if in season. @heirloomgal , your recipe sounds like something I'd like - PM sent.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like Texas chili. Meat, Spices, Peppers. However, I do like pinto beans in my chili. Something that makes some Texans cringe.

:hide
I dunno about corn, squash, macaroni. It probably taste good, no doubt, but I’d call something like that … soup.

Seriously though, I never understood why some people get so riled up over chili OR for instance how someone wants their steak cooked.

After all, the world is your pickle. You do you, boo.

Last edited: