2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Had a few more dried pods to pick today. I'm kinda elated that the Greek Cypriot bean that I wasn't able to return last year (because of a vole eating all the plant roots), seems to be doing very well this year! I even got some dried pods already!
Yahoo!
:ya
On grey -
20220818_125724.jpg

On beige -
20220818_125642.jpg

The shade of brown seems a tad deeper or darker, but I may be imagining that. My soil does seem to darken some seed coats.

And OMG network bean Nwambili!! Such a beautiful bean! I didn't expect the colours to be so vibrant and rich. I could never eat a bean that looks like this. Only frame it.
20220818_123420.jpg
20220818_122757.jpg

Network bean Green Savage
Hubba hubba! These were freshly shelled, and I accidentally left some crud on the beans, whoops! Fantastic bean though. It's interesting that the eye is light orange not white.
20220818_131548.jpg

20220818_131449.jpg

Inca Pea Bean
20220818_132041.jpg

Ice bean
20220818_130856.jpg

Victoria Brown Eyes
Two tones of brown in the variety it seems.
20220818_122110.jpg

(*I'm posting 2 pics of each where possible on different backgrounds because the seed colours tend to create optical colour illusions relative to the surroundings.)

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here they're massive, too. Took a while to get going but they are now over 10ft and still climbing.

@Artorius I must commend Atlas, it is the earliest wax variety this year and one of the earliest out of all of the pole beans. The young plants got hammered by snails when I transplanted them, which severely stunted their growth but they still produced more pods than one could expect from their little vines. The weather has improved for only a couple of days but they are already taking off with a second wind. No more heatwaves expected for this season so I hope they can reach closer to their full potential before first frost.

@Triffid , I'm glad you liked Atlas. This is a nice old variety that has been supplanted by new commercial ones. If you would like to try other Polish beans, just let me know.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty beans @flowerbug! That plate is awesome too. (Sorry, chick thing.) ;)

i'm not a chick but i like it too. i've been trying to find something to hold beans that i liked for taking pictures and that seems to work ok for now. at least other than the part where i tip it too much and the round beans go rolling all over the floor... ahem... wood floor, they bounce all over the place when i dump 'em out and i'm klutzy enough that i do it on a regular enough basis... i mean like i know the techniques required for different kinds of beans and how much dust is on the floor and if that spider in the corner is looking too hungry i might have to offer it an ant or something sorts of thinking... i know, i'm being silly, been like that all evening talking to Mom.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
(*I'm posting 2 pics of each where possible on different backgrounds because the seed colours tend to create optical colour illusions relative to the surroundings.)

wow! such nice quality seeds there. :)

i've grown Green Savage and VBE and while Green Savage was very productive for me as a pole bean it didn't fit my requirements. the seeds for those weren't nearly as nice as yours by far. i still have a bunch of them but most i'd be ashamed to give them away.

VBE did well for me and i've put in a fair number of plants this year. i keep telling myself i have to be patient. :) i also had two colors for those.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@BeanWonderin

Doesn't look like mosaic IMHO, just the progression of leaves aging though the yellowing could be a symptom of a mineral deficiency of some kind. Beans are rather sensitive to that. Temperatures can affect uptake of nutrients too, and if you're getting quite chilly nights as we are it might affect certain varieties.

it could just be that they are getting ready to be done. cooler temperatures may be the signal they got and so they're heading towards done.

i have some beans here that are early beans. i planted them in mid-May and they are drying pods/seeds now. with the heat and dry spell we had i don't think these first seeds are going to be great quality but i'll pick them and see what's up as soon as i get a chance. i have picked a few already.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have looked and looked for the post where someone asked me if Bosnian Pole made a good snap bean. I would have loved to find the post, but I don't know who asked this question.

I picked three pods today that didn't look seedy and cooked them (3.5 inches). They were not stringy at all. However I personally would not use this bean as a snap bean. Even the pods that are filling out with seed look like they are probably about 4.5 inches long. Too short for me. I want snap pods at least a minimum of 5 inches and preferabley 6 to 8 inches. I would personally would use Bosnian Pole as a dry bean.

The following is part the write up on my website. "5 inch thick meaty stringless flattened pods".
I too prefer Bosnian Pole as either shelly or dry, due to its high productivity. However, the snaps - while relatively short - are plentiful, stringless, and have a wonderful Romano-like flavor.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artorius I must commend Atlas, it is the earliest wax variety this year and one of the earliest out of all of the pole beans. The young plants got hammered by snails when I transplanted them, which severely stunted their growth but they still produced more pods than one could expect from their little vines. The weather has improved for only a couple of days but they are already taking off with a second wind. No more heatwaves expected for this season so I hope they can reach closer to their full potential before first frost.
I've suspected for some time that the bush bean sent to me in trade as Atlas (in a commercial envelope with that name) may be something else. It is not a white-seeded bean (as listed by the USDA-GRIN) and has wide, flattened, purple-striped pods. Whatever it is though, it is a very early, very large-seeded bush bean that makes a great shelly. I always keep original packaging for any seed I save; I'll have to find that envelope to see if it contained a description.

Last edited:

Latest posts