2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
i think i need to abandon any pretense of really knowing what some of these beans from both Monster and Domino might have come from because while i can make a division based upon patterns and shapes by now they could have crossed. so really i should only speak in terms of things i know for sure which i have certain records of and then just let the history alone because i have no way to sort it out 100% short of tracing the genetics.

That's why I gave up on trying to track where a new bean may have come from. Used to when I grew just a few kinds and mostly for use as green beans, it was uncommon and easy to spot when a new one showed up. When I started growing a lot of beans and a lot of kinds for use as dry beans, I started finding them all the time.

Now when I get a new bean from the network or even from a commercial source, I grow them in semi-isolation to keep them as pure as possible in the first season and to see if anything off-type shows up. If it does, I add the off type to my bean soup mix, but I don't try to track the segregations that happen in the second or third season.

To make it even a little more difficult is that there are other ways a crossed bean shows up aside from just the color of the seed coat. I planted some Pinto beans from the grocery store several years ago and now have the Pinto looking seed coat in a wide variety of beans. Some are bush, some semi-runner, some full pole bean sized. Some seeds are large and flat, some small and spherical, some are crowded in the pods and flat on one end, like a greasy cut short.

When I sort and plant a specific one of those Pinto looking beans, any and all of the types may show up as well as beans with other colored seed coats. I don't know if the original beans I planted were already all mixed up or if it happened in my garden.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's why I gave up on trying to track where a new bean may have come from. Used to when I grew just a few kinds and mostly for use as green beans, it was uncommon and easy to spot when a new one showed up. When I started growing a lot of beans and a lot of kinds for use as dry beans, I started finding them all the time.

i don't want cut short, greasy or pole traits so those are not beans i'll keep seeds from and when sorting and selecting for replanting i'm winnowing those shapes out. i also don't want matte finish on a lot of beans, but i do have one red variety that has a nice shape and matte finish that i will grow from time to time. finding pea varieties that look like little plugs was interesting too but i don't want those in my pea varieties so i won't replant them either.

pinto patterned beans are common. one of Monster bean children is a dark brown pinto pattern. i haven't regrown them because that is not a pattern i want more of in my other beans. also in my other crosses that have shown up no matter how they got here have usually spun off a similar pattern among the segregations or reverses. i don't usually replant those as i have plenty of those as it is (working on Huey and the Peregion selections). Domino and children have not ever spun off any pinto patterned beans. Monster has spun off probably over 30 segregations most of which i won't ever be able to do anything with but the ones i do plant are usually growing well it's just a matter of if the seed color and pattern are interesting enough to try a further grow out to see if they'll be stable. as of yet several are certainly interesting to keep growing and others weren't stable enough and i select and go from there.

with my limited space it is more of an art than a science. :) i use my intuition in selecting and i look at every seed (several times) that i harvest. millions of seeds. i'd be in big trouble if i worked at a seed mill...

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm not a chick but i like it too
Internet_dog.jpg

Hard to tell the gender of someone by their nym.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah. My dad has to keep reminding me that our next door neighbor's dog, Charlie, is a girl.

Then again, my mon still keeps using "she" for Juniper, since she isn't used to us having a male cat.
It is funny that all dogs are male and all cats are female. Don't know why that is, but it seems a steady thing, at least in the US.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is funny that all dogs are male and all cats are female. Don't know why that is, but it seems a steady thing, at least in the US.
It has nothing to do with that. our last two cats were female and my mom's childhood cat was female. She just got into the habit. It also doesn't help that I actually had to petition for us to get a male cat (and I didn't even say it specifically had to be male, just that we shouldn't factor in gender when deciding what cat we wanted.) And even the shelter owner said "she" until she double checked the label on the cage. Juniper is male, but he doesn't have the blatant flatter face that a lot of male cats have; if you didn't know, he could be either gender.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a long range weather forcast for late summer and fall. We will see how this actually works out.

For September near average temperatures will prevail for Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Minnesota. I think this will also apply to where @heirloomgal lives.

For September the New England states will be above average in temperatures

October will be most above average for Northern, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota. I think this will also apply to where @heirloomgal lives.

Above Average tempertuares for October will prevail in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina. and the New England States.

I'm hoping here in Northern Illinois where I live we won't get a frost until very late in October like maybe the 25th or slightly later.

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found a long range weather forcast for late summer and fall. We will see how this actually works out.

For September near average temperatures will prevail for Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, East Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Minnesota. I think this will also apply to where @heirloomgal lives.

For September the New England states will be above average in temperatures

October will be most above average for Northern, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota. I think this will also apply to where @heirloomgal lives.

Above Average tempertuares for October will prevail in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, East Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina. and the New England States.

I'm hoping here in Northern Illinois where I live we won't get a frost until very late in October like maybe the 25th or slightly later.
Where did you find it? The one I found says we're in for a cool, rainy September. I sure hope it's wrong. 😭

The oldest pods on GaGa Hut have red streaking on them now, but new beans are still being pumped out too. I don't think it will behave like it did for you, with a second harvest [eta: with nothing in between]; this one looks like it is going to keep going until frost.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I try Not to correct DH when he refers to the 2 female dogs as "he." It's very hard to live with 3 women (me and two DD's, all living in the same household for decades) and be surrounded by female cats and female dogs.
Our communication doesn't suffer.
I kinda think that too much petty criticism is like a 1,000 cuts.

Latest posts