2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vulkan 👽🪐🛸
20220915_134907.jpg
Oooh, I'm smitten. 💘 Please tell me that is a pole variety. :fl

All very beautiful beans. Grune aus des Karpaten looks nearly identical to Soissons Vert.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oooh, I'm smitten. 💘 Please tell me that is a pole variety. :fl

All very beautiful beans. Grune aus des Karpaten looks nearly identical to Soissons Vert.
It is @Zeedman! And from what I can see, so far, it produces an excellent yield. Yes, Grune aus des Karpaten is the exact same colour as Soissons Vert, but only about 1/4 to 1/3 the size.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
New member, First post, I grew 4 seeds this year of the Sallie Donahuee that i got from Russ that came out all beautiful greasys. Any ideal what county in Kentucky this greasy came from (Napier -Combs Family) I mainly collect Greasy Beans From Southeastern Kentucky.
Welcome @Greasy ! Always great to have new members at the LEBN! :frow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
More beans beginning to ripen - yeah! :celebrate

20220916_170445.jpg
"Madagascar" lima. Shelly vs. dry (finger for scale). Saw one pod as I was passing by, looked more closely - and found 25 others! I planted a 30' row of these, in anticipation of harvesting lots of those large butterbeans... based upon the long-term forecast, looks like it will be a good harvest :weee

20220916_231426.jpg
"Uzice" dry/shelly. While the plants formed 3-4' runners, the majority of the pods are still borne close to the ground... and in MUCH greater numbers than when it grew in bush habit. Fortunately, mice & my resident garden rabbit show no interest in them. Maybe the marauding pumpkin vines (which have crept along side the row on both sides) are scaring them off. :lol: This too is one of my favorite shelly beans, I'm looking forward to finally having enough for a couple meals worth.

I harvested the first soybean variety today, "Zolta z Zolna". All of the leaves had dropped, and about 80% of the pods had dried... which is the point at which I often cut soybeans off at the ground to dry in protected conditions. They are in a tub on my screened patio, with a fan blowing over them to expedite drying. "Rouest 13 A1 2" has dropped its leaves also, and should be dry enough to harvest early next week.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Janice and her cousin in Kentucky have very generously offered me some pure seeds of their Napier-Combs family heirloom, from this year’s crop. @Bluejay77 Russ, I let her know that you would most likely be interested in some seeds, too. With your permission may I let her know your email address so she can contact you directly?
You may certainly give Janice my email address. I will be very interested in having a conversation about Kentucky beans with her. A million Kudos to you for such great dective work.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello @Greasy and a great big Kentucky Heirloom bean welcome to you. I wonder if the Bill Best and family in Barea would know anything about these Sallee Dunahoo beans and were the family lived in Kentucky. Bill Best has a book on Kentucky heirloom beans which you may already have purchased. I need to get a copy of his book. You may also get a chance to meet and talk with me in person as I will be attending the annual Sustainable Mountain Agricultural seed swap in Berea on Saturday Ocober 1, 2022 in Berea at 212 West Jefferson Street which is the Berea Folk Center. The swap runs from 9am to 1pm. For you it's just a quick ride up I-75 north of you.

Just a little side note for anyone who wants to enunciate the word Greasy the Kentucky way. Its pronounced Grezy.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is Brad Wilson Paul’s buddy from the KY swaps old fat bald headed man we have met several times just never been on this board looking forward and getting ready for Berea ask Paul D the right way to pronounce Berea lol
You're really close to Pulaski County, which is where a large part of my Dad's family was from.

Any varieties of greasy beans that you recommend?

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MN-150 cow peas in my zone 3 garden! I've never seen cowpeas anywhere close to this garden, so this is a bit of a shock. About 1/3 of the pods were dry, and I probably should have cut down the plants because I think they may have been frosted last night, but we'll see. Definitely a keeper.

ETA: THANK YOU @Zeedman for these and for all the work you do to preserve such treasures!

2022-09-16 14.57.16.jpg

2022-09-16 14.57.34.jpg

2022-09-16 14.57.37.jpg

2022-09-16 15.09.59.jpg

Latest posts