2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did Fiona have any influence your way?
No rain but it was overcast and that's where the wind was coming from. It felt like all of the air where I was was in a hurry off shore to join the party! I had high hopes that the cold front would get shoved north at the last minute but no such luck. Today is gorgeous though!

I also picked my pumpkins and squash in a hurry yesterday! The towel in this picture was the finger in the dam that kept everything from rolling out.
2022-09-23 16.43.54.jpg

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow!! What kind jb, Sugar pumpkins?
The smooth ones you can see are New England Pie from High Mowing, there's a couple dozen Winter Luxury under those, and the black crate is full of Delicata squash.

Almost all of these are still in my car because my plan to decorate the living room with 50 pumpkins was vetoed. Rude.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't Lavender such a unique colour? I grew it as a network bean last year and liked it.

i gave it a 2nd chance, last year i had it in more sandy soil and the beans were mostly white to pale lavender - this season they're definitely darker and nicer looking on top of being much better quality overall.

Pink beans do tend to turn tan over time don't they. I think Tamila is one that is a barbie level of pink, but eventually I guess as the years go on even they do get a bronze look to them.

I do quite like the angles you use to name your beans flowerbug, though I've never seen the show Seinfeld so Huey is lost on me, lol. But Sunrise and Sunset have a nice ring to them, especially if related.

Sunset came before Sunrise but they are very similar in pattern (solid color with some darker red around the edges). Sunset has more orange and darker red, Sunrise is pale pink to red.

i'll get pictures of them eventually (Sunset i already have on my bean page).

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
and the black crate is full of Delicata squash.
Which variety?

We're trialing/test-tasting 4 this year: Zeppelin (Wild Garden Seed), Honeyboat (Experimental Farm Network), Candystick Dessert (Carol Depp, via Adaptive Seed) and Sugar Loaf Hessel (Nichols Garden Seed).

Those Red Turtle beans are sure pretty!

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Which variety?

We're trialing/test-tasting 4 this year: Zeppelin (Wild Garden Seed), Honeyboat (Experimental Farm Network), Candystick Dessert (Carol Depp, via Adaptive Seed) and Sugar Loaf Hessel (Nichols Garden Seed).
I'm pretty sure they came from here, but I'm not 100% positive.
Those Red Turtle beans are sure pretty!
They're a variety that @Bluejay77 found back in the 70s. They're on this page:

I haven't mailed your package of seeds yet, and I don't remember for sure if there's any in there already, but if there's not I can probably shoehorn some in.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they came from here, but I'm not 100% positive.

They're a variety that @Bluejay77 found back in the 70s. They're on this page:

I haven't mailed your package of seeds yet, and I don't remember for sure if there's any in there already, but if there's not I can probably shoehorn some in.
Thanks! But only if it's no trouble.

Sounds like that delicata would be the High Mowing strain! 😅

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
now that i have a moment longer i can go back to 2017-2018 when i grew out some beans and found a lavender colored bean that looked great at first but alas it didn't hold the color very long at all and when i replanted them they didn't repeat well at all - but here's a picture of them when they did look nice at first. i liked the round shape of them and they were an early bean.

p1140016_Lavender_thm.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love all this squash varietal awareness! Being someone who is really into all the nuances of different varieties within an edible species (also why I love LEBN!) I so enjoy the observations, trials and harvests of others. ❤ Squash probably won't ever be grown in my own gardens much because I just don't have enough space. So I live vicariously. 😊

I was kicking myself 2 days ago that I pulled out most of my poles, given that the frost didn't ultimately come down when it was threatening. But, it will rain for 3 days straight now, so yup, I guess I made an inevitable decision in the end.

I can't believe how much gardening can be like gambling.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe how much gardening can be like gambling.
Yes so true. I have cut the vines on most of the pole beans lately in the big pole bean offsite plot, except for a couple of limas. I think I did the right thing. There is one P. Vulgaris that the pods look pretty filled out with seed, not a hint of yellow still very green, but I'm sorta getting the feeling that the seed could or might fill out a little more so I'm thinking of letting that one go this whole week. A bean called Lavender Swirl. If the bean is still maturing seed it must be doing it at an incredibly slow rate with this sudden cool weather. The bean seems much later than all the rest of the Pole beans planted. I will be gone next weekend to a seed swap in Berea, Kentucky. I see the lowest predicted temperature for one night this week for here will be 36 F. Hope we don't get frost while I'm here or gone next weekend.

In my backyard pole snap bean grow out. The earliest bean to dry pods was Weaver. All the other beans have yellowed their leaves and dropped most of them. Weaver droped a few and two days ago I looked under the seasons well used leaves and finding blossoms again and found a number of fresh late season snacks. I found one pod today already 6 inches long. Not seedy and wow very nice munchy thing to pick. It was only about three days ago I finally decided to clip the vines of Logan Giant. This seasons latest maturing bean. The pods are out there all hanging on the vine and most of them have now yellowed out. The pods are really swollen with seed.

Last edited: