2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The sprawling growth habit and not a true bush and a bean that doesn't climb I was told by Joseph Simcox that is called "prostrate"
I noticed that the Red Turtle beans didn't want to stay on their strings early this season, but that they eventually seemed to come around to the idea. It seemed odd that they changed their .. willingness .. for lack of a better word.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Apart from the known beans that I get from different international seed sites, I have unknown beans that I bought from local markets in Turkey.

These are the photos of some beans that I bought and grew from local village markets in northern Turkey.
Beautiful beans! The second bean photo, the solid brown, look much like a bean I grew this summer called Yer Fasulyasi. It's the only bush bean I've seen with a seed of such colour. That first bean too is especially gorgeous.

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live in northern Turkey; The climate here is very suitable for beans and corn. Carrots, radishes, etc. are mostly grown in the south.
Oh, up near the Taurus Mountains! In that case, I may get back to you in a year or so, as I am currently trying to grow some Taurus Mountain Red Juniper bushes for my yard (I am quite fond of the taste of red juniper berries, and, as they are extremely hard to come by here, I have decided the best way to secure a steady supply is to grow my own.)

mahon67

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, I didn't just grow the white one; I bought it from the market, waiting to try it in 2023. I raised the others. Of these, only the bush bean in the photo, which I named as freckled kidney beans, the others are pole bean.

Attachments

• çilli barbunya.jpeg
    çilli barbunya.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

mahon67

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
in fact, some of the strains I've grown look like some beans in the net, at least in appearance. For example;
19, Schokoflecken
15,Krasavica or Kutasi Princess or Red head
11, BotomiGeorcia 1
28, Whipple.
I can find a few more similar types when I rummage through my bean cabinet.
Even 2, may be the same bean as Turkey 1 in network 8.

Attachments

• 19.png
    19.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 15.png
    15.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 11.png
    11.png
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • 28.png
    28.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
in fact, some of the strains I've grown look like some beans in the net, at least in appearance. For example;
19, Schokoflecken
15,Krasavica or Kutasi Princess or Red head
11, BotomiGeorcia 1
28, Whipple.
I can find a few more similar types when I rummage through my bean cabinet.
Even 2, may be the same bean as Turkey 1 in network 8.
These are lovely. I love that shade of tan in #2. The seed coat in #28 was common with beans raised by Abenaki and Iroquois peoples who lived in my area in the northeast US before white people showed up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug, follow these links :)
Lovely looking beans. Lemon Slice has a unique seed coat. I have never seen one like it anywhere and very beautiful. I'm sure flowerbug is very proud of those beans. I have seed here of them and need to grow them next year.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely looking beans. Lemon Slice has a unique seed coat. I have never seen one like it anywhere and very beautiful. I'm sure flowerbug is very proud of those beans. I have seed here of them and need to grow them next year.

i grew Lemon Slice (by accident) this year and had some reverses show up in them which are also interesting (to have the yellow background and white stripes) to see.

sadly LS does not store in "regular" conditions to maintain that coloring and will turn the yellow to tan color.

by accident i mean i grew out a small container of "odd beans" i'd set aside from a previous season just to see what they'd do. there were no obvious LS in there.

so far in shelling out i have at least six new beans to explore and work with to see what they might do. several Purple Dove ones with one of those being very interesting in color/pattern (spotchy irregular purple markings), pink solid that maybe will hold pink color (instead of aging to tan/brown), black and gray matte finish goats eye bean with a bit of white around the eye, watermelon seed looking bean, etc.

also good to find out that for the most part one of my grow outs of a project bean is stable enough to warrant a name and being put into circulation.

Last edited:

Latest posts