2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 22

Rabbit's Foot 5 - Bush Dry - 2022

This segregation came about in 2014. It's a nice looking seed when they well filled out but it's just not very productive where ever I happen to plant the bean. This will be the last year I will plant and grow this segregation.

View attachment 53675
Rabbit's Foot 5 - Bush Dry
That bean closely resembles Giant Red Tarka, with the dark maroon & white, and the squared ends.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 23

Sacre Bleu - Semi Runner Dry - 2022

Developed from a German bean called Dwarf Blue that had inconsistent characteristics by Lisa Bloodnick of Applachia, New York. A very frequently requested bean on my website.

View attachment 53698
Sacre Bleu - Semi Runner - Dry
Did this one do well for you @Bluejay77? I'm going to grow it again in 2023, as my 2021 grow out was not super productive.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did this one do well for you @Bluejay77? I'm going to grow it again in 2023, as my 2021 grow out was not super productive.
The first time I grew the bean I had lots of seed from it. This year I had that 10 days in early June that was cool and wet and overcast. No sun to warm the soil. I had two plantings of this bean this year and one of them never even came up. The second planting grew but not really well. All the semi runners and pole beans are going to be grown permanently out at my Bean Acres site behind the Deer fence. The soil there is lighter and lots more hours of sun every day.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
That bean closely resembles Giant Red Tarka, with the dark maroon & white, and the squared ends.
The seed shape of Rabbit's Foot 5 I suppose resembles the Giant Red Tarka but I think the color pattern is different. The Rabbit's Foot 5 has a lot more red and and not enough spotting to be a real close GRT look a like. Giant Red tarka has more of a Jacob's Cattle pattern. I could never grow an good quality GRT seed either. So I just let the network growers grow it.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 24

San Antonio - Pole Snap - 2022

I acquired this bean from Annette Barley of Nanaimo B.C. Canada in 2012. This year was the best grow out of this bean I have ever had. I had about 6 or 7 plants and they produced 14.65 ounces of beans (415.32 gm). I would consider this a large seeded bean.

San Antonio-FB.jpg
San Antonio - Pole Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Schokoflecken - Bush Dry - 2022

Sent to me by Cordula Metzger of Labenz, Germany in 2017. It sat in a plastic container for two years before I sent it out to a grower on the west coast. Then I didn't see it back for another two years. I grew it out last year in my backyard plot with fair results and had to try it out in a different soil this year. Much better results this year. 2021 seed collected for 10 plants was 6.95 ounces (197 gm) This year I may have had two more plants but the seed harvest in 2022 was at least double, 13.70 ounces (388.38 gm).

Schokoflecken-FB.jpg
Schokoflecken - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Seneca Bird Egg - Pole Dry - 2022

Authentic native American variety acquired in 2014. This year was my fourth grow out. It didn't produce as well this year but that is the same story with most of my pole beans. It did give me a small amount of nice quality seed. I may have had about 6 plants and they produced 8.20 ounces of seed (232.46 gm). The bean is so similar to another bean called Buxton Buckshot. That I believe they both could be related and perhaps one is just a different strain of the other. Plants, seeds, pods and blossom look exactly the same. Seneca Bird Egg is only slightly longer in it days to maturity.

Seneca Bird Egg-FB.jpg
Seneca Bird Egg - Pole Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Seneca Cornstalk -Pole Dry - 2022

An authentic native American variety acquired in 2014. This year was my third grow out of the bean. Grown in the same plot where other pole beans were not doing so well. Seneca Cornstalk had it's best year with me so far. I may have had 6 to 8 plants that produced 14.90 ounces of beans (422.40 gm). Small seeded beans of good quality.

Seneca Cornstalk-FB.jpg
Seneca Cornstalk - Pole Dry

Last edited:

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
I wonder by the name if Seneca Cornstalk is a true cornfield bean, it that it grows and produces in the shade deep inside the corn patch rather than just in the sun on the outer rows. Ohio Pole grows like that, and they look similar except different color. In fact, Ohio Pole seems to need the shade, leaves are much smaller, and production is poor in full sun.

OhioPole.jpg

Ohio Pole is more bluish/purple and as far as flavor one of my favorites. Too bad it is so giant, both beans and vines, and long season, I only grow it every few years, just to keep a supply of fresh seed.

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
Ah, I've made it all through the bean show! Now I'm chomping at the bit to get more back to beans next year. I've grown beans every year of course but was focused a lot on some other crops last couple of seasons.

Now off to the web site to pick out about a 100 that I want :)and then struggle for a while trimming it down to a number that I actually have room for.

Latest posts