2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is the single hit I've been able to find online that has some information about this bean -
Thank you @heirloomgal - very informative. According to the article, Fukuryu Chunaga was expected to be replaced by Fuku-uzura, though I don't see much mention of that bean online either. Interestingly, one of the distinguishing features of that plant was determinant dwarf (bush?) vs. indeterminate semi-climber (semi-runner?) growth habit for Fukuryu Chunaga. I have seen Fukuryu Chunaga referred to as bush, but it definitely had some runners.

"Fuku-uzura" has determinate dwarf plant type, so it is distinguished from check variety "Fukuryu-chunaga" with indeterminate semi-climber.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you @heirloomgal - very informative. According to the article, Fukuryu Chunaga was expected to be replaced by Fuku-uzura, though I don't see much mention of that bean online either. Interestingly, one of the distinguishing features of that plant was determinant dwarf (bush?) vs. indeterminate semi-climber (semi-runner?) growth habit for Fukuryu Chunaga. I have seen Fukuryu Chunaga referred to as bush, but it definitely had some runners.
Mine were all semi-runners too. I looked for a date on this publication and couldn't find one? Maybe things didn't work out with the Fuku-uzura afterall? Or, it could be that Japanese P. vulgaris beans seldom make it outisde of Japan. The soybeans seem too though. Fukuryu means crouching dragon - if wiki is right, though there is mention also of kamikaze frogmen. The name is tied to special attack units of some kind.

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sulphur

My last network bush bean for 2022. I grew this because someone had mentioned they thought it could be the same as Hutterite, which I have also grown. It is not the same bean in my opinion. Something that surprised me is that it turned out much rounder than the beans shown on abeancollectorswindow.com for Twin Falls Sulphur. Maybe it's not the same bean? I assumed that it was, but I think I am wrong. Sulphur is a nice white bean which was easy to shell. I'm a little afraid to eat it given the name. The shape and size of this bean is almost identical to Bomba, which is another bean I grew this year.

View attachment 54228View attachment 54229
Your Sulphur look quite different from those that I know (and grow). Do they become really sulphurous-yellow after some days?
The ones I have look very much like the yellow ones on the picture below ('borrowed' from bohnen-atlas.de as I can't upload my own photos at the moment).

Attachments

• IMG_8029.JPG
    IMG_8029.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 50

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Striped Bunch

This bean turned out prettier than I was expecting. The appearance was a complete surprise since I couldn't find a photo before I grew it. It did grow with some runners though it is listed as a bush bean. There was a fair number of solid black beans mixed in, which I think gives it a fun look.

View attachment 54213
View attachment 54214
View attachment 54215

i didn't have any of those black seeds in what i planted or what little i harvested. all were striped.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sulphur

My last network bush bean for 2022. I grew this because someone had mentioned they thought it could be the same as Hutterite, which I have also grown. It is not the same bean in my opinion. Something that surprised me is that it turned out much rounder than the beans shown on abeancollectorswindow.com for Twin Falls Sulphur. Maybe it's not the same bean? I assumed that it was, but I think I am wrong. Sulphur is a nice white bean which was easy to shell. I'm a little afraid to eat it given the name. The shape and size of this bean is almost identical to Bomba, which is another bean I grew this year.

20C8154D-7DCB-4039-92E7-B0BF4FAE07AD.jpeg
I think there are several variations of "Sulphur" floating around. This was the version of "Sulphur" that I observed growing on SSE's Heritage Farm in 2018:
20180831_161900.jpg20180831_161909.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine were all semi-runners too. I looked for a date on this publication and couldn't find one? Maybe things didn't work out with the Fuku-uzura afterall? Or, it could be that Japanese P. vulgaris beans seldom make it outisde of Japan. The soybeans seem too though. Fukuryu means crouching dragon - if wiki is right, though there is mention also of kamikaze frogmen. The name is tied to special attack units of some kind.
So ranks of beans in camouflage, fighting a losing battle all the way through the digestive tract? Perhaps a comment on their digestibility? :lol:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your Sulphur look quite different from those that I know (and grow). Do they become really sulphurous-yellow after some days?
The ones I have look very much like the yellow ones on the picture below ('borrowed' from bohnen-atlas.de as I can't upload my own photos at the moment).
Beans? Sorry, I got a little distracted by those purple favas. 😍

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think there are several variations of "Sulphur" floating around. This was the version of "Sulphur" that I observed growing on SSE's Heritage Farm in 2018:
View attachment 54236View attachment 54237
Those on your photo seem to develop that dark ring around the navel, which would count for 'my' Sulphur. But the seeds that I know are stouter; rather more egg-shaped.

Latest posts