Garden Master
Reaction score

Beanmad Nanna

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kartoffelbohne - Pole Dry - Got this bean from a grower in Austria in 2021. Very productive. It put up with the drought fairly well. Better than many others. Harvested 10.85 ounces (307 grams)

Kermit's Smoky Mountain - Pole Snap - 5 inch green pods seemed stringless and delicious. This historic bean variety was grown in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee for five generations by the Caughron Family. Kermit Caughron, was the last man to live in what is now the Smoky Mountain National Park, and this is his bean !

Kartoffelbohne.jpgKermit's Smokey Mountain.jpg
Kartoffelbohne - Pole - Dry.......................................Kermit's Smoky Mountain - Pole Snap

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kartoffelbohne - Pole Dry - Got this bean from a grower in Austria in 2021. Very productive. It put up with the drought fairly well. Better than many others. Harvested 10.85 ounces (307 grams)

Kermit's Smokey Mountain - Pole Snap - 5 inch green pods seemed stringless and delicious. This historic bean variety was grown in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee for five generations by the Caughron Family. Kermit Caughron, was the last man to live in what is now the Smoky Mountain National Park, and this is his bean !

View attachment 62131View attachment 62132
Kartoffelbohne - Pole - Dry.......................................Kermit's Smokey Mountain - Pole Snap
Oooh! Kartoffelbohne! Isn't that such a great bean! I grew it last year and got a pound right on the dot with 3 or 4 plants. I was so impressed with that bean. Wonderful variety. I googled the name when I was researching it for a description and it means potato bean. 🥰 I've been thinking to try Kermit's Smokey Mountain for awhile, but Southern beans always worry me a little given my location. I may yet grow that one yet, love the story.

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder if the Kartoffelbohne tastes like potatoes. Yummy. And coincidentally, the outcross that I grew out from Rio Zape produced some black beans-- and some with a seed coat that is very similar to the Kartoffel bean! It was a semi-runner.

Attachments

• IMG_20231115_180245917.jpg
    IMG_20231115_180245917.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 47

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Read the article - 'accidentally' trawled several seed sites as consequence. Added 3 of Carol Deppe's to my list ( I think for another year ). ( King City Pink, Gaucho, White Candle ) . 🤩

because of the Pledge as currently written i will not knowingly grow any OSSI Pledged varieties.

The OSSI pledge reads: "You have the freedom to use these OSSI-pledged seeds in any way you choose. In return, you pledge not to restrict others' use of these seeds or their derivatives, by patents or other means, and to include this pledge in any transfer of these seeds or their derivatives."

my issue is that i cannot possibly know which beans i grow are derivatives since i let bees openly pollenate all my beans. :(

if you only grow OSSI pledged seeds then you are covered in terms of any derivatives, but if you have any of your own varieties and you don't want to get tangled up in OSSI Pledge license issues then you'd have to isolate 100% with 0 errors... um, i don't think nature works very well that ways.

since i have put years of effort into the various beans i've named and released i have no intention of ever getting tangled up with OSSI. :(

i also have no license that goes along with the seeds i give out. they are open pollenated and can be potentially crossed with many dozen of the different beans i've grown over the years. also my sources are not always knowingly giving me clean varieties so they may also be crossed and contain off types. i can't give assurances and i don't care to do any other paperwork than what i already manage to get done.

ethically i hope that anyone who takes one of my unique varieties that i've crossed and worked with to get it fairly stable will give me credit but i have no control over the beans once they are out of my hands. some people may and others may not.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
ooh! Kartoffelbohne! Isn't that such a great bean! I grew it last year and got a pound right on the dot with 3 or 4 plants.
Oh yes is a nice productive variety. Produces a lot of quality beans and not a lot of culls. I grew it in the same soil where some of my bush beans last year did poorly. This year I was trying out growing only two beans around a pole and I usually devote two poles to a variety. I planted my two beans around two poles for this one but the other two Kartoffelbohne's didn't grow. So I got over a half pound of seed from only two plants and very dry weather. I watered of course but it is still not like having rain blanket the entire ground. Later in July and early August when we started to get a couple of rains spaced closer together you could just see some of the varieties responding to the rain water but for some it was too little too late.

Latest posts