2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Daughter Stallard - This is a rebred Good Mother Stallard. Pole bean dry.
Tiger's Eye - Bit of a vinning habit. Very Early
Sunrise - Kind of an orange looking Zuni Shalako. Need trellis support like a pole bean.
Four Corners Red - Similar to Anasazi but more red color
Southwest Red - Maybe similar to Anasazi but more white area. Bit of a vinning habit. Very Early
Southwest Gold - This one might be a rebred Zuni Shalako

Rio Zape - Still a very late maturing bean. Said to climb to the top of an 8 foot trellis

-

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Scorpio - Pole Lima. Another of the segregations of a cross of Ping Zibra. Early container started bean then transplanted. Total seed harvest from 4 plants including it's segregation 38.30 ounces, 1,085 grams. I think the bean tends to be on the maroon side of it's coloring. It produced one segregation this past summer. Scorpio OT-123. A bean that is Light red or pinkish red. It's a color shade I have not yet seen among these Ping Zebra segregations.

Scorpio.jpgScorpio OT-123.jpg
Scorpio - Pole Lima..................................................Scorpio OT - 123 - Pole Lima

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Daughter Stallard - This is a rebred Good Mother Stallard. Pole bean dry.
Tiger's Eye - Bit of a vinning habit. Very Early
Sunrise - Kind of an orange looking Zuni Shalako. Need trellis support like a pole bean.
Four Corners Red - Similar to Anasazi but more red color
Southwest Red - Maybe similar to Anasazi but more white area. Bit of a vinning habit. Very Early
Southwest Gold - This one might be a rebred Zuni Shalako

Rio Zape - Still a very late maturing bean. Said to climb to the top of an 8 foot trellis

-
I thought I remembered the Tiger Eye. I'd be happy to grow that one.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll send this one to you to grow out. Am I spelling the bean incorrectly. Is it Tiger Eye or Tiger's Eye ?
According to all of SSE's listings, your spelling is correct. I'm not sure the tiger would care either way. :lol: Like many seeds brought here from other countries, that is not its original name anyway. The large beans are stunning in appearance, and very good in shelly stage.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
i would take this one if it is a bush bean. is it fairly early?
Someone had grown these in Wisconsin this past summer. They have given some descriptions of some of the beans. No description of Southwest Gold. I take it that Tiger's Eye and Southwest Red and probably the earliest of the group. Southwest Gold might be a semi runner if it's bred from Zuni Shalako which is a semi runner.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday I received two varieties of dry pole beans from the parents of a lovely lady at our dentist office. (Clearly, I can network anywhere. Lol) Each of the beans are heritage varieties brought over from northern Italy by immigrants to the Vancouver area more than 40 years ago. There are long slender straw coloured pods with white kidney shaped seeds, and robust long beige pods striped with purple that have sand coloured seeds with purple swirls. Each type of dry pod is really quite beautiful. Interestingly, the purple ones resemble this 'new' heirloom seed introduction form Revival Seeds: https://revivalseeds.ca/collections/new-for-2024/products/abruzzo-pole-bean There is also a mention on an earlier TEG thread referencing Emilia's Bean, which may well be the same cultivar also: https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/another-bean-story-how-emilia-got-her-name.19824/

Then in a dramatic turn of events I cracked open the pods and was surprised to find that there were a few fleet-footed pests greeting me. They were different than other weevil type bugs that I have encountered, and they moved quickly once I opened up the pods. I found this reference, https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/en/g...-insect/primary-insect-pests/bean-weevil.html
The Canadian Grain Commission recommends a whopping 12 weeks of cold treatment to kill them off; other sites that I have found suggest between 2-7 days. Any road, the seeds and the empty pods were all hustled off to the deep freeze to kill whatever bugs might remain. I used to get quite worked up about weevils, but now I am taking them in stride. Best of all, most of the seeds were of excellent quality and (hopefully) insect free. I ❤️ beans-- bugs and all!

Attachments

• IMG_20231201_163337141.jpg
    IMG_20231201_163337141.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231201_163737349.jpg
    IMG_20231201_163737349.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231201_164126496.jpg
    IMG_20231201_164126496.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Serenity - Pole dry. Discovered this in a bean three years ago that came from another discovered bean 10 years ago that I called Super Bean. A vigorous climber. I planted Serenity this year and didn't get any segregations so decided on this name. The seed colors are very subdued and I wonder if I allowed some seed to sit at room temperature if the light coloration will turn yellow or gold like that of a yellow eye. Harvested from 4 plants 9.65 ounces, 273 grams

Splash Trout - Pole dry. This bean was stunted all summer. It started to climb then stopped. Produced a few pods and a few nice seeds to go again with it next summer. Almost all the best seed is in the photo. This bean is an original named bean from the 1970's of former SSE member the late Ernest B. Dana of Etna, New Hampshire. He donated the bean to Wanigan Associates and I acquired it from Wanigan. Total seed harvested this summer 1 ounce, 28 grams.

Serenity.jpgSplash Trout.jpg

Serenity - Pole Dry..................................................Splash Trout - Pole Dry