2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

NLbeangrower

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice @heirloomgal @Zeedman ! It'll be fun experiment nonetheless :)

I'm also worried about the photoperiod sensitivity, I'll just grow a few of each this year and hope for the best. :) I have an unheated greenhouse so I plan on growing both in the greenhouse and outside, but I think outside should be OK as well since they are from a department called Quindío in Colombia which is generally a little colder.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice @heirloomgal @Zeedman ! It'll be fun experiment nonetheless :)

I'm also worried about the photoperiod sensitivity, I'll just grow a few of each this year and hope for the best. :) I have an unheated greenhouse so I plan on growing both in the greenhouse and outside, but I think outside should be OK as well since they are from a department called Quindío in Colombia which is generally a little colder.
Life is full of surprises, so you may have success! I have a bean called Tarahumara Purple Star, which probably shouldn't be able to succeed where I live because of it's Mexican origin, but it does really excellent for me, as well as any pole bean from Canada. Always early, always productive. So you never know! Some of my most productive bush beans are from Africa too.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Priority List Photos And Descriptions

I thought maybe some descriptions and photos of the Priority list might help some growers make a decision as to what they might like to chose to grow this coming season.

Algarve - No Photo
Description - Pole Snap. Very early snaps of long flatt medium green pods. Large yeilds approximately 50 days from planting to first snaps. Slow fiber development of 10 x 1 inch wide pods. BCMV resistant. Climbs from 6 to 7 feet.

Andikove

Andikove.jpg
Bush Dry. Appears to be a traditional Soldier bean from eastern Europe. Probably similar growth and maturity time. Donated by Milos Briestensky of Drevhostic, Czech Republic in 2019

Bezova Ze Smolijanu
Bezova Ze Smolijanu.jpg
Pole Dry. From eastern Europe. Donated to the collection by Milos Briestensky of Drevhostic, Czech Republic.

Black Bandy
Bandy.JPG
Pole Lima. Blossom White. Sometimes simply called Bandy. Said to have an earthy Flavor with a strong vining growth. From lima collector, grower Curt Burroughs of Memphis, Missouri 2019

Brazil Little Black
No Photo
Description - Semi Runner Dry. Discovered and named by Robert Lobitz when he picked this seed out of a batch of beans from Brazil. Likely similar in growth and season as Black Turtle

Carolina Red Stick
Carolina Red Stick - Remy.jpg
Pole Snap. Acquired this bean from Karen Golden of Highland, Michigan in 2022. Karen had acquired the Remy Orlowski bean collection sometime after Remy’s death in 2020. Remy owned and operated the Sample Seed Shop online. This bean can be eaten as a snap, shelly, or dry bean. Dates back to the 1830’s

Cream Colored Fall
Cream Colored Fall - Remy.jpg
Bush / Dry / Snap. Strringless and tender hulled pods can also be used as a dry bean. A long long time favorite in eastern Kentucky gardens.

Dean Family Greasy Cutshort
Dean Family Greasy Cutshort.jpg
Pole. Acquired this bean at the Central Indiana Seed Swap in Nobelsville, Indiana February 2020. The grower of this bean is Bill Best of Berea, Kentucky.

Donald Todd Half Runner
Donald Todd Half Runner - Remy.jpg
Half Runner Snap. Over 50 years ago a man named Donald Todd began saving the seed of this tender snap podded half runner bean. Today his son Steve Todd has picked up the torch to carry on this variety

Drabo
Drabo.jpg
Bush Dry. Said to cook with a creamy texture. Swiss Heirloom.

Dule
No Photo
Growth Habit Unknown. This bean is a mystery. I believe it was brought into the country by The Botanical Explorer Joseph Simcox

Fairy Crutchfield

Fairy Crutchfield - Remy.jpg
Bush / Dry / Shelly. 1930’s cranberry bean. From the Remy Orlowski Sample Seed Shop Collection

Fat Man
Fat Man - Remy.jpg
Pole Snap Dry. Heavy producer of tender 5 inch pods on 6 to 7 foot tall vines. Grown for over a hundred years in Virginia and West Virginia.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

I thought maybe some descriptions and photos of the Priority list might help some growers make a decision as to what they might like to chose to grow this coming season.

Fox Family Greasy
No Photo
Description - Pole Snap. Has been traced to western North Carolina back to the 1780’s. Grown by Fox and Banks families of a bygone era. The bean has it’s origins in the Cherokee nation.
Frauenbohne
Frauenbohne.jpg
Bush Dry. Obtained from Seed Saver Exchange members who had obtained seed from well known bean man in Germany, Gerhard Bohl.

George Washington Fall Bean
George Washingtons Fall Bean.jpg
Pole Dry. Got this bean from Amanda Winland from her One Sunny Acre in Mount Alto, West Virginia. Just doesn’t seem to be any known history of this variety.

Goose
Goose.jpg
Pole Dry. One of the beans obtained from Remy Orlowski’s Sample Seed Shop in early 2022. The bean has been grown throughout the southern Appalachian mountains. A well known heirloom bean in Kentucky. Has been grown in Appalachia for generations.

Grandma Barnett
Grandma Barnett.jpg

Pole Dry. The bean comes from well known bean grower and bean discoverer Frank Barnett of Georgetown, Kentucky and was grown by his grandmother from Floyd county, Kentucky.

Granny
Granny.jpg

Pole Snap. Donated to this collection by David and Donna Ashburn of Alpine, Tennessee at the 2018 Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Seed Swap. First Saturday in October in Berea, Kentucky

Headrick Greasy Cutshort
Headrick Greasy Cutshort.JPG

Pole Snap. The bean gets it’s name from a Tony Headrick who lives in the state of Kentucky. Seeds of this bean were found in the cracks of a floor in an abadoned house in Harlan county, Kentucky. Very productive and pods take on a light blush of red as the seeds mature.

Krupke Dutch
Krupke.jpg

Bush Dry. This bean was given to me by an unknown donor at the Appalachian Seed Swap in Pikeville Kentucky in April 2022. It comes from the Dutch seed bank and how it made it’s way into Kentucky is a deep mystery to me at this time.

Larson Family Swedish
Photo On Net 4 Of Website

Description - Bush-dry Maybe of fresh shell use also. A Larson Family heirloom. Donated to this collection by Seed Saver Exchange member Zachary Benson of Lino Lakes, Minnesota in 2016.

Lil Daisy
Lil Daisy.jpg
Pole. From Paul Douglas, Williamsburg, Kentucky at the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Seed Swap in Livingston, Tennessee in October 2019. Paul's Friend Mark Beverley had grown a bean called "Ilene" for years which Mark had found in Laurel County, Kentucky. One year he noticed Ilene had produced an off type that was a greasy bean so he saved seeds from it. He wasn't sure what to name it, so Paul said name it after your wife , Daisy. Paul says, I think we called it Lil' Daisy because there was a bean called Little Daisy.

Maria Amazilitei
maria-amazilitei.jpg

Pole Snap. Wax variety from the Remy Orlowski collection (Sample Seed Shop). Originates in Romania. There is a tomato variety of the same name.

Melungeon
melungeon.jpg

Pole. Acquired from the Remy Orlowski seed collection (Sample Seed Shop) via Karen Golden after the Central Indiana seed swap in January 2022. Seed similar to Ohio Pole and Zona Upchurch. Similar in season of maturity. Large green pods that become wrinkled when dry.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Nassieddu Viola
Nasieddu Viola - Pole#17.jpg
Pole Dry. My seed donor is from Valpiano, Italy, 2019.

Old Time Golden Stick
Old Golden Stick - Remy.jpg
Pole Dry. Vines are productive and early maturing. Pods are short and fat. The bean comes from Fentress county, Tennessee.

Pink Tenders
pink-tenders.jpg
Pole Snap. Acquired this bean from an unknown donor at the 2019 Appalachin Seed Swap in Pikeville, Kentucky.

Striped Double Hull Fall
No Photo

Description - Pole Dry. I think this may have been one of the pole varieties that Remy Orlowski listed on her Sample Seed Shop website. Can not seem to find any history of this bean.

Tennessee Cutshort
Tennessee Cutshort #1.JPG
Pole. From The Remy Orlowski Sample Seed Shop bean collection. This is not a true cutshort. Beans do not have flattened ends like a true cutshort. This variety might even be a snap bean and also have dry use. No indication on Remy’s packaging as to what was her source for this bean.

Tennessee Mountain Climber
Mountain Climber.jpg

Pole Snap. An impressive green bean. Disease resistant. Snaps in 70 days after planting.

Trevio Nun
Trevio Nun.jpg
Semi Runner Dry. From grower in Ilukste, Latvia, 2020

Tunny
Z-Tunny.jpg
Pole Dry. From Beans & Herbs in the UK.

Yooni's Ennie Bona
Z-Yooni's Ennie Bona.JPG
Pole Dry. Given to me recently by Cathy Yoder at the Michiana Seed Swap in Goshen, Indiana whos family has grown this Amish family bean most of the 20th century since about the 1920's to the present.

Hastings
No Photo
Description - Pole Snap. White-seeded tender cornfield bean. It is quite productive and was sold by the old Hastings Seed Company of Atlanta, Georgia before the 1920's.

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Striped Double Hull Fall
No Photo

Description - Pole Dry. I think this may have been one of the pole varieties that Remy Orlowski listed on her Sample Seed Shop website. Can not seem to find any history of this bean.

Edit: Oops! Maybe this isn't the same one. :(

from https://web.archive.org/web/20191228080734/http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=7770

2-17-2023 11-04-10 AM.png

Edit 2: I randomly searched Remy's site for 2011, 2016 (no result on "Hull" bean for either), 2020 got above hit, no additional in 2021.

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have not tried to grow typical pole strains in this way, only bush, semi-runner and low half-runner. Under greenhouse conditions, beans grow very strongly. I sow seeds only once, one seed in a 3-4 liter pot. I usually harvest the pods twice, sometimes three, depending on the variety. After the first harvest, I start feeding the plants with fertilizer for geraniums. I don't use additional lighting. My windows are on the south side of the building and the plants seem to get enough light.
Well Artorius, I am following your lead to try growing a few beans indoors. Here is a photo of the first sprouts of Tezier Filet beans that I plan to place in a container near our living room window. Thank you for showing us that it can be done!

Attachments

• IMG_20230222_152716084_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230222_152716084_HDR.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230222_153958662_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230222_153958662_HDR.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Latest posts