2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Growing setup for the Yessica's Inca Beans. It looks like I'm doing something suspicious, hehe.

20230121_130311.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Growing setup for the Yessica's Inca Beans. It looks like I'm doing something suspicious, hehe.

View attachment 54677

it's currently legal here to grow beans with grow lights. i'm not sure for how long. it took them a long time to make MJ legal at last so perhaps it will take them at least that long to make it illegal to grow beans. <-- i am just kidding, i don't expect them to ever do this...

good luck fellow bean grower. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 do you have a list of beans grown by Ernest B. Dana?
I just happened to be browsing through the 2022 LEBN thread today and ran across this question from Artorious that I believe I never aswered. Ernest B. Dana is no doubt no longer living. He was probably in his 60's or 70's when I first joined Seed Savers Exchange when I was in my early 30's. I do have an old list of my bean collection from the early 1980's and I had made notations of beans that came from Ernest Dana. I also had acquired from Seed Savers Exchange's librarian a copy of the notes that John Withee used to compile his heirloom bean catalog. Plus I still have many of the Seed Savers Exchange yearbooks from the 1980's that I used to compile this list of beans that Ernest Dana grew. As far as SSE yearbook listings go Earnest did not list in the yearbook every single year. I only found two yearbooks that Kent Whealy had set up the yearbook that showed each lister by state and everything they were listing for a particular year under their name. Most years Kent had for instance listed beans. He listed bean names in alphabetical order but only put all the listers SSE member codes who listed that bean under that bean name. Very diffucult and inconvenient yearbooks to read. Needless to say I did not use any of those yearbooks to compile this list of Ernest B. Dana beans he had grown.

Ernie also had a passion for beans that had a Jacob's Cattle or JC modified type patterns. He had a number of outcrosses he stablized with this type of pattern and sometimes listed them in the yearbooks, sent some to me, and donated to John Withee's Wanigan Associates.

These beans below are all listed in John Withee's notes

1. Big Light Red Trout - This bean was the seed mother of Candy after I obtained it from Wanigan
2. Big Dark Red Trout
3. Big Soldier
4. Black Trout - I believe this also was an outcross Ernest Dana stablized from his gardens
5. Brown Trout - An outcross from Ernest's gardens
6. Bumblebee
7. Champagne
8. Dana's Cranberry - A Dana original named bean
9. Dana's Cross - A Dana original named bean
10. Dana's Soldier - A Dana original named bean
11. Durham Trout - Might be an original Dana named bean
12. Ernie's Big Eye - An original Dana named bean
13. Etna Trout
14. Gray's Horticultural - An Old Central New Hampshire heirloom
15. Lila Stuart - Might be an original Dana named bean
16. Littleton - A old New England heirloom bean
17. Main Red Kidney
18. Maine Trout
19. Mammoth Soldier - Might be an original Dana named bean
20. Mammoth Trout - Might be an original Dana named bean
21. Massachusetts Horticultural
22. Massachusetts Soldier
23. Massachusetts Soldier x Trout - An original Dana named bean
24. Medium Trout x Short Trout - An original Dana bean
25. Nute - A red horticultual bean
26. Parker Large
27. Red Pole
28. Roy Stevens Trout
29. Scarlet Runner
30. Shell Easy x Soldier - A Dana original bean
31. Short Pole Horticultural
32. Short Trout - A Dana original bean
33. Towle - An old New England heirloom
34. Worcester

From the 1981 SSE Yearbook Ernest B. Dana listed the following beans below not listed previously in the Wanigan list.

35. Soldier
36. Trout
37. Jacob's Cattle Gaseless
38. Kidney
39. Horticultural
40. Low's Champion
41. Yellow Eye
42. Shelleasy, and various crosses
43. White Runner
44. Mildred
45. Luikin

In the 1985 SSE yearbook Dana listed the following beans that he had not listed previously or donated to Wanigan.

46. Lafayette
47. Maine Sunset
48. Nain Blanc
49. Old Timey
50. Brown Soldier - A Dana original named bean

Beans That Ernest had sent to me that are on my beans list from the early 1980's

51. Black Eyed Soldier - A Dana original named bean
52. Black Soldier - Likely a Dana original named bean
53. Dana's Early
54. New Hampshire Black Trout - Likely a Dana original bean
55. Pink Trout - A Dana Original named bean. I can still remember opening his package and finding this bean.
56. Ruddsboro Trout - Likely a Dana original named bean
57. Ernie's Mottled Soldier

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday January 21, 2023 I drove (3.5 hours) from 5 am central time to 9:30 eastern time to Goshen Indiana for the Michiana Seed Swap. I got there just in time to check in. A small seed swap but wow was it busy. I sold a pretty good bunch of beans. After the swap I made it all the way back home by 6 in the evening. There was this lady by the name of Cala Yoder came up to me with this bean that has bean grown by the Yoder and a Miller families for most of the 20th century. I think original growers were Pennsylvania Dutch. Carla gave me a bean called "Yooni's Ennie Bona". Beans are on the smallish side. A pole dry bean, but might have been eaten also as a green bean.

Also got another bean in the mail when I got home yesterday from my Austrian bean friend Harriet Mella from Liebenfels. She has come up with this outcross snap bean she calls "Stibitz "

Yooni's Ennie Bona.jpgStibitz.jpg
Yooni's Ennie Bona - Pole Dry..................................................Stibitz - Pole Snap

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PPS. Did you fall off the bed this morning?? It is Sunday and your reply was posted at 06:30 a.m. 😲

For many years, I get up for work at 4 am, so I already have an alarm clock in my head. Unfortunately, I wake up automatically which is quite annoying at times :)

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just happened to be browsing through the 2022 LEBN thread today and ran across this question from Artorious that I believe I never aswered. Ernest B. Dana is no doubt no longer living. He was probably in his 60's or 70's when I first joined Seed Savers Exchange when I was in my early 30's. I do have an old list of my bean collection from the early 1980's and I had made notations of beans that came from Ernest Dana. I also had acquired from Seed Savers Exchange's librarian a copy of the notes that John Withee used to compile his heirloom bean catalog. Plus I still have many of the Seed Savers Exchange yearbooks from the 1980's that I used to compile this list of beans that Ernest Dana grew. As far as SSE yearbook listings go Earnest did not list in the yearbook every single year. I only found two yearbooks that Kent Whealy had set up the yearbook that showed each lister by state and everything they were listing for a particular year under their name. Most years Kent had for instance listed beans. He listed bean names in alphabetical order but only put all the listers SSE member codes who listed that bean under that bean name. Very diffucult and inconvenient yearbooks to read. Needless to say I did not use any of those yearbooks to compile this list of Ernest B. Dana beans he had grown.

Ernie also had a passion for beans that had a Jacob's Cattle or JC modified type patterns. He had a number of outcrosses he stablized with this type of pattern and sometimes listed them in the yearbooks, sent some to me, and donated to John Withee's Wanigan Associates.

These beans below are all listed in John Withee's notes

1. Big Light Red Trout - This bean was the seed mother of Candy after I obtained it from Wanigan
2. Big Dark Red Trout
3. Big Soldier
4. Black Trout - I believe this also was an outcross Ernest Dana stablized from his gardens
5. Brown Trout - An outcross from Ernest's gardens
6. Bumblebee
7. Champagne
8. Dana's Cranberry - A Dana original named bean
9. Dana's Cross - A Dana original named bean
10. Dana's Soldier - A Dana original named bean
11. Durham Trout - Might be an original Dana named bean
12. Ernie's Big Eye - An original Dana named bean
13. Etna Trout
14. Gray's Horticultural - An Old Central New Hampshire heirloom
15. Lila Stuart - Might be an original Dana named bean
16. Littleton - A old New England heirloom bean
17. Main Red Kidney
18. Maine Trout
19. Mammoth Soldier - Might be an original Dana named bean
20. Mammoth Trout - Might be an original Dana named bean
21. Massachusetts Horticultural
22. Massachusetts Soldier
23. Massachusetts Soldier x Trout - An original Dana named bean
24. Medium Trout x Short Trout - An original Dana bean
25. Nute - A red horticultual bean
26. Parker Large
27. Red Pole
28. Roy Stevens Trout
29. Scarlet Runner
30. Shell Easy x Soldier - A Dana original bean
31. Short Pole Horticultural
32. Short Trout - A Dana original bean
33. Towle - An old New England heirloom
34. Worcester

From the 1981 SSE Yearbook Ernest B. Dana listed the following beans below not listed previously in the Wanigan list.

35. Soldier
36. Trout
37. Jacob's Cattle Gaseless
38. Kidney
39. Horticultural
40. Low's Champion
41. Yellow Eye
42. Shelleasy, and various crosses
43. White Runner
44. Mildred
45. Luikin

In the 1985 SSE yearbook Dana listed the following beans that he had not listed previously or donated to Wanigan.

46. Lafayette
47. Maine Sunset
48. Nain Blanc
49. Old Timey
50. Brown Soldier - A Dana original named bean

Beans That Ernest had sent to me that are on my beans list from the early 1980's

51. Black Eyed Soldier - A Dana original named bean
52. Black Soldier - Likely a Dana original named bean
53. Dana's Early
54. New Hampshire Black Trout - Likely a Dana original bean
55. Pink Trout - A Dana Original named bean. I can still remember opening his package and finding this bean.
56. Ruddsboro Trout - Likely a Dana original named bean
57. Ernie's Mottled Soldier

@Bluejay77 , thank you very much! I'm going to have to issue more wanted posters than I expected :)