2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Also mentioned are:

Red Swan Snap Bush Phaseolus vulgaris 20/ 4.00

Early red skinned 5” pods, tasty, original by Robert Lobitz.

does anyone else have these already and more importantly does anyone have pictures of the seeds in a close enough version where i can get a good look at them?

it's really frustrating to me to go look for beans and nobody posts pictures of the seeds. grrrrr! :)

If Red Swan Snap Bush is the same as simple Red Swan, I have a fairly detailed photo - or were you after a very detailed image?

Attachments

• D210E530-38A6-41ED-9350-9F5AEDB5FBCC.jpeg
    D210E530-38A6-41ED-9350-9F5AEDB5FBCC.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 50

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , thank you very much! I'm going to have to issue more wanted posters than I expected :)
Since the Seed Savers Exchange obtained a sample of every bean that was in the Wanigan collection. They may still have many of these beans. If you were a member of Seed Savers Exchange you could ask Sara Straate the SSE seed historian about these beans.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Someone posted a link to Guy Dirix's page a way back and I've been looking at the pdf attached there. This fellow has some very nice beans, and I see that at least some of what he grows is in pots. I've never grown beans in a proper pot, a few raised containers and a giant pot which was more like a small raised garden but not a simple pot. It must work well enough since he has a lot of nice beans!

Now if only I could speak the language and actually understand what's written in the pdf! The pictures sure are pretty though.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now if only I could speak the language and actually understand what's written in the pdf! The pictures sure are pretty though.
Guy Dirix does speak English also. Guy and I have done some bean trading in the last 6 years. He is also on Several Facebook bean groups. Which is about the only use I have for Facebook. If you want, go find "Heirloom Bean Adicts Anonymous" and join them. Also "Beans Of The World" and "Bohen-Atlas" and join these two groups as well. If you join you are in for a treat of a lifetime with photos of beans from all over the world. If you join these Facebook groups please don't stay away from LEBN forever. I hope you will continue to orbit planet LEBN also.

Last edited:

Paul G

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@BeanieQueen

Until July 2021, all shipments from outside the EU reached me without any problem. Then customs regulations changed due to the trade war against Chinese e-commerce giants, and now even the smallest packages with commercial goods are subject to customs duties. Parcels described as a gift are also not safe, because some companies have just started describing them as such. Previously, low-value shipments were not checked, but now the Polish Post charges a fee for each shipment from outside the EU sent for customs clearance, so you understand. Money, money, money everywhere.

From 2021, parcels of seeds from the US, Canada and UK are sent to my friend's address in London, and she or another friend of mine personally brings them to me when they come to Poland. For now, the system is 100% operational, but delays are to be expected. The most important thing is that the seeds reach me safely.

As for the parcels with seeds I send to countries outside the EU, all of them were delivered to recipients from the UK and Canada.
As for the US. All tomato seeds parcels arrived safely, but only 50% of bean seeds. Unfortunately, some of them have been confiscated.

Before the war, I also exchanged tomato seeds with gardeners from Russia. There were no problems. We sent each other cooking magazines with packets of seeds stuck inside. Now I have a lot of recipes for Russian dishes :)

Small shipments from EU countries are still not controlled. Shipping and collection is 100%.

@BeanieQueen

Until July 2021, all shipments from outside the EU reached me without any problem. Then customs regulations changed due to the trade war against Chinese e-commerce giants, and now even the smallest packages with commercial goods are subject to customs duties. Parcels described as a gift are also not safe, because some companies have just started describing them as such. Previously, low-value shipments were not checked, but now the Polish Post charges a fee for each shipment from outside the EU sent for customs clearance, so you understand. Money, money, money everywhere.

From 2021, parcels of seeds from the US, Canada and UK are sent to my friend's address in London, and she or another friend of mine personally brings them to me when they come to Poland. For now, the system is 100% operational, but delays are to be expected. The most important thing is that the seeds reach me safely.

As for the parcels with seeds I send to countries outside the EU, all of them were delivered to recipients from the UK and Canada.
As for the US. All tomato seeds parcels arrived safely, but only 50% of bean seeds. Unfortunately, some of them have been confiscated.

Before the war, I also exchanged tomato seeds with gardeners from Russia. There were no problems. We sent each other cooking magazines with packets of seeds stuck inside. Now I have a lot of recipes for Russian dishes :)

Small shipments from EU countries are still not controlled. Shipping and collection is 100%.
Sounds like rules are stricter. I am from France. Last year I sent seeds twice to US that never reached and I couldn't received seeds from US. Moreover, US seed companies no longer ship to France.
I called French customs, in order to get seeds, I would need to get phyto certificates. I don't want to bother friends with the certificate and pay fees.
I'm not sure how to proceed. I don't have friends in the UK, I will see if I have US friends coming to France this year.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Guy Dirix does speak English also. Guy and I have done some bean trading in the last 6 years. He is also on Several Facebook bean groups. Which is about the only use I have for Facebook. If you want, go find "Heirloom Bean Adicts Anonymous" and join them. Also "Beans Of The World" and "Bohen-Atlas" and join these two groups as well. If you join you are in for a treat of a lifetime with photos of beans from all over the world. If you join these Facebook groups please don't stay away from LEBN forever. I hope you will continue to orbit planet LEBN also.

I wanted to set up a typical tomato and bean Facebook account, but they blocked me before I could write anything.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted to set up a typical tomato and bean Facebook account, but they blocked me before I could write anything.

i think Poland passed a law and perhaps FB now blocks Poland accounts because they don't want to be fined? i don't know for sure as i'm just scanning headlines and i don't use FB myself at all.

Latest posts