2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is so bizarre that posting bean photos would go against community standards! And that you couldn't get back on is even crazier. Confirms my suspicions that facebook is a satellite of the death star.
What a bunch of us on Facebook have concluded about when they give people 30 day suspensions and delete accounts. Is that FB has over 2 billion users and they can not employ enough people to keep a watch on illicit postings. So they probably use artificial intelligence to scan Facebook for illicit postings and AI doesn't always get it right. Also when you disagree with one of their judgements. You might get a real person looking at a case or it also might be AI getting it wrong again. The whole thing is probably being controled by algorythms. How good are the algorythms that their coders produce.

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What a bunch of us on Facebook have concluded about when they give people 30 day suspensions and delete accounts. Is that FB has over 2 billion users and they can not employ enough people to keep a watch on illicit postings. So they probably use artificial intelligence to scan Facebook for illicit postings and AI doesn't always get it right. Also when you disagree with one of their judgements. You might get a real person looking at a case or it also might be AI getting it wrong again. The whole thing is probably being controled by algorythms. How good are the algorythms that their coders produce.

Just wanna drop in the not-so-fun fact that Facebook's moderation isn't entirely AI, and the humans who do work there have to be exposed to very stressful content no human should ever see. There's reports that Facebook moderators have developed PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) from this. If the theory about AI controlling some of Facebook's moderation is true, that's a bit understandable, but only because no one wants to work there.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How exciting! Guy Dirix lists the Bayo bean. I'd looked unsuccessfully for information about this bean because it is part of the ancestry of the California pink beans, but the newspaper article spelled it incorrectly:

...great care has been exercised to prevent even one off-bean to get into the selection. Thus has been prevented any throw-back to the Mexican red or the bayou bean.
[that was from the newspaper article talking about the work being done to create an improved strain of pink beans]

Turns out the Bayo bean has the same culinary qualities as Mayacoba (aka Peruano/Canario), but a different shape.

This article was a fun read if anyone is interested in more information about these beans.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
How exciting! Guy Dirix lists the Bayo bean. I'd looked unsuccessfully for information about this bean because it is part of the ancestry of the California pink beans, but the newspaper article spelled it incorrectly:

[that was from the newspaper article talking about the work being done to create an improved strain of pink beans]

Turns out the Bayo bean has the same culinary qualities as Mayacoba (aka Peruano/Canario), but a different shape.

This article was a fun read if anyone is interested in more information about these beans.

thanks for the diversion! :) temporary... i liked these parts of it the best:

on varieties:
"
Frijol bayo (Phaseolus vulgaris)
“A bean variety that comes in shades from light coffee brown to dark coffee brown. Types include acerado, apetito, blanco, garrapato, gordo, grullo, jarocho, maduro, mexicano, panza de puerco, parraleño, perlita rata and zavaleta. Bayos are eaten in many ways: boiled, fried, pounded, and as a filling. The bean is one of the most used in the country, especially in the Distrito Federal and in other central states. In many regions it is used as a substitute for other beans. The bean is found in various colors; the most important types are canela claro, canelo oscuro, rebocero, vaquita and, especially, flor de mayo. The latter is widely used in the Federal District and other central states of the country; in fact, many people maintain that it has the best flavor of all bayos. Flor de mayo tends to be pink in color, but when cooked it becomes light brown. It is also known as a brown bean.”
"

so we're not alone in having a lot of varieties of beans where the names are always not certain and may change from region to region.

on cooking them:

"...
In fact, the headnote for her recipe for Frijoles Aguados (Soupy Beans), is one of the best things I’ve read about cooking Mexican beans:

“You need to pay attention and use your senses to guide you when you’re cooking dried beans, because the secret to making really good beans is finding that elusive sweet spot between over- and under-cooking them. A few minutes too long and their skins will split, and they will fall apart. But if you take them off the stove prematurely, they will taste chalky and bland. I’m against the current trend of undercooking beans. The better a bean is cooked, the more complex the flavor. When testing a cooked bean for doneness, bite it and make sure there is no resistance. Once they’re custardy, turn off the heat and let them cool in their broth.”
— Gabriela Cámara, My Mexico City Kitchen
"

which is pretty much how i do it except i don't cook beans with spices or additions other than water to start with. but the simple recipe of sort and clean them, cover with plenty of water, bring to a boil and simmer until done is how i do it. stir gently once every 20-30 minutes or so. towards the end stir more gently. :)

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What a DAY! More bean mail!
View attachment 54710

Okay, thet're not P.vulgaris but they loosely fall under the 'bean' category - my thumbprint favas arrived, 11 seeds. View attachment 54711

Midnight Black Favas, they're as small as regular beans! I put some Ugandan Bantus on the plate too for comparison. Until I saw these I didn't even know there was such a thing as mini favas the size of P.vulgaris beans.View attachment 54712
@heirloomgal ! Stop torturing people with pictures of the Holy Ugandan Bantu, especially when they are unable to reach them yet!
But those black mini-Favas are also absolutely gorgeous! They are also on my must-have list.
So: Have fun with all your new treasuries and keep us all updated! ☺️

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so we're not alone in having a lot of varieties of beans where the names are always not certain and may change from region to region.
Although in this case, for bayo, it seems to be more similar to Yellow Eye. Yellow Eye is both a specific variety, and also a general type that covers a broad range of seed coat patterns that all fall within the category of being a 'yellow eye' bean.

Happy to oblige with the diversion, hehe!

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Congratulations @BeanieQueen ! It seems that the German interpretation of the EU directives is less restrictive than the Polish and French ones.
Or.. the officers of the customs authority haven't noticed yet that there are new EU standards.. Who knows!
But seriously: if there indeed should remain this difference btw. our EU countries, you or @Paul G or whoever are welcome to have their ordered shipments have sent so me, and I could send them along to you then.
Do you plan to grow network beans this year? And if so, were they already shipped?

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@BeanieQueen i don't understand what "shipment to be scanned" really means. but i'm glad it made it. :)
Probably pourly translated by me, sorry🫢 I think, it was an internal marker to put this parcel (and hundreds of others) temporarily aside for the colleague-officer who operates the X-ray device.
I am even more glad it made it !!😄

Latest posts