2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those look better than mine! I'm really borderline for runner beans, they often don't fill out for me as well as they do in cooler climates. But I'm just glad I live in a "Goldilocks zone" where I am just cool enough to succeed with runner beans, and just warm enough to succeed with limas. The jury is still out on favas, maybe I'll find out this year. :fl
You really are lucky @Zeedman to be able to cover well all three species! I may give limas another try someday, but my last attempts have been so close to the wire if not downright unsuccessful I may need to accept that I can't grow 'em. Well, runner beans are pretty nice and its P. vulgaris that's my mashed potatoes and gravy, so no complaints!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You really are lucky @Zeedman to be able to cover well all three species! I may give limas another try someday, but my last attempts have been so close to the wire if not downright unsuccessful I may need to accept that I can't grow 'em. Well, runner beans are pretty nice and its P. vulgaris that's my mashed potatoes and gravy, so no complaints!

pretty much where i am at also.

i love bush lima beans and can usually get a crop from them but they cannot be planted late. as soon as the ground is warm enough they can go in. pre-sprouting just isn't workable for me.

i love peas too. wish i had more space and time for all of these.

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Some bad news, I had to kill my baby bean plant because its soil was infested with little baby gnats and it wouldn't survive because I foolishly used dish soap to get rid of the gnats. Don't worry, I can always start over. I'll buy an organic insect repellent to add to my potting soil before I do large-scale container gardening indoors like this again.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Also, sterilize your pots.
We are having a warm spell starting tomorrow and I have a muck bucket to use to clean up all of those 3 inch plastic pots that I got with purchased vegetables over the years.
I plan to fill it up with 10% bleach solution and clean them up bc it's seed starting time.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Couple new beans.

White Beauty, pole bean
20230203_194811.jpg

Petit Carré de Caen, pole bean​

This bean dates to 1868, is of Norman heritage, was marketed up until about 1960. Rare now, but was adopted onto the Ark of Taste.
20230203_201527.jpg

Saint-Sacrament, bush bean
The blurb reads:
Traditional hardy variety from Bas-St-Laurent.
According to the person who provided us with this treasure, a legend from Kamouraska has it that on Corpus Christi, cows blocked the way without letting the procession pass, which had to take the field where these beans were growing, which were sanctified by it. Approx. 90 days.
20230203_201736.jpg

Some new favas

Gold, or Elio from Peru
20230203_200559.jpg

Martoc, medieval variety
20230203_200449.jpg

Red Epicure
20230203_200819.jpg

Sanuki Kotsuba, Japanese variety
20230203_201023.jpg

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Is anyone experienced with mixing neem seed meal in soil both as a fertilizer and to repel gnats? I'm thinking of getting that.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am becoming a bean lover. I have about 1/2 a dozen different beans to grow in 2023.
Although I have a lot of space and fencing to use, how far apart do I need to space each kind of bean to keep them from cross pollingating?
Generally ducks, you don't need to worry much about cross pollination with beans. They are self pollinating (unlike, say corn), and self pollinating plants tend to breed true. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule and some of it depends on how much bee activity you have. In 15 years, I have seen one pole bean cross in all my grow outs, and I've grown about 250 varieties of beans over the years - ALL in the same garden without any isolation (though each growth type is separated). So, the odds are pretty good. If you are in an agricultural area, or open field, though it seems that can increase the likelihood of crosses.

If you want to save seeds from your beans I'd say your biggest concern is with plant spacing for the purpose of drying down. The distancing on packets is for green beans, not for the full life cycle of the plant. They need a wider spacing for seed saving.

Last edited:

Latest posts