2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the good luck wishes Artorius. I supposed pre-sprouting the seeds and then planting them would save bumping up. Might have to try that. For now I used a small 6-cell because it fits under the tabletop grow light that I have upstairs, where it is warmer. My other grow lights are in the cool basement. Am I correct in assuming the warmer the room temperature, the better for bean seedlings?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorted out my bean acquisitions for 2023. 🤓 There was a couple I requested on the seed exchange but had no idea what they looked like, so, opening a few up packets tonight I had a surprise here and there. I took a few photos of packet contents. The other lady on the seed exchange who is a bean collector, to some degree, may no longer be offering seeds after this year, so I requested what I feared may soon disappear even though I may not grow them this year or even next, we'll see. It will certainly be a wonderful bean adventure this summer with my network bean list along with some of the other newbies!

Garden of Eden pole (snap) bean. This variety enjoyed somewhat of a celebrity status for awhile among collectors in Ontario it seemed. Apparently the green beans are superlative. I've met a few gardeners who really love it. I hope I can fit this one in this year.
20230223_191602.jpg

Pois-Feve Laliberte bean. Here is a blurb I found about it -

Considered in danger of extinction, this dwarf bean produces a legume halfway between a pea and a broad bean. The plant looks like (and really is) a bean, and the grain a pea. For this reason, in Europe this type of bean is called ''Coconut Bean''.

In the 1990s, this ancestral cultivar was found in the home of a certain Mr. Laliberté from the Lotbinière region of Quebec, then 80 years old, who confirmed that he had cultivated it for decades. Mr. Laliberté's son gave some seeds to Antoine D'Avignon, a heirloom vegetable enthusiast and precursor in safeguarding seeds from Quebec and Canada's heritage (unfortunately deceased since), who gave them as gifts to other collectors."

20230223_191745.jpg

Mrs. Kahl's,
bush bean.
20230223_191243.jpg

Borlotto del Valdarno
, bush bean.
20230223_190820.jpg

I was shocked to open a packet called 'Early Vermillion' and find this! Looks like Jacob's Cattle to me.
20230223_190542.jpg

This is the bean that I though might look like blue corn. 🙃

Faggidi Alta Con la Buccia Blu Pole Bean. (Snap Bean)​

20230223_190417.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
More bean pictures as I continue to open new packets.☺️ The first 4 are from @Jack Holloway's bean offer a little while ago, which I feel very blessed to now have.

Riggins Stick Pole
20230225_205831.jpg

Saxon, not sure of growth type yet.
20230225_205218.jpg

Yessica's Inca, not sure growth type yet.
20230225_205706.jpg

Spanish Tolosana, not sure growth type yet. I find this one to be exquisitely beautiful. I'm really going to try to make room this year for them. I'm thinking it's likely a pole.
20230225_210355.jpg

Princess Rose, bush. Another very pretty little bean. I chuckled when I saw it on a website because they described themselves as being the only source in North America for it. And then they mentioned they got it from Russ! 🙄
20230225_204917.jpg

Pinta, bush. Here is a link to an article about this one if anyone is interested:
20230225_205409.jpg

Fundy Amethyst, true bush. VERY purple!
20230225_210144.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Buddha's Bellybutton--- I love the name of that bean! I see that it is available for growing out through the Network, and that it may perhaps have a bush habit?? I may have to earmark that bean for future grow outs. Looking forward to hearing about its growth habit once you know more Artorius.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was shocked to open a packet called 'Early Vermillion' and find this! Looks like Jacob's Cattle to me.
Early Vermillion is another of those soil sensitive beans where the seed coat changes a bit depending on the soil it's grown in. The version you show is the prettiest, nicest I've seen yet of this bean. I wish my soil would do that to this bean.

Latest posts