2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Total gardening geek post, found my first bean blossom of the season this morning. It's our go-to family bean that we've grown for years, it's a French climbing bean called Algarve which I purchased from Park Seed probably 15 years ago. It's definitely the little things that make me happy in the mornings, and coffee.View attachment 58048View attachment 58047

from what i'm seeing online the pictures show the seeds to be mostly white with perhaps some soldier markings? is that what you have for seed coat pattern on those?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I recall doing an experiment with growing beans when I was in grade 4 or 5, sowing seeds in styrofoam cups and once they were up watering one with coffee, one with plain water, and one with something else (probably salt water or something bizarre like that). It had such a profound impact on me to see the sprouts break the soil, and then to have control over their inputs after that. Perhaps that is why seeing a bean seed germinate and explode through the surface of the soil is still such a source of bliss after all of these years. Like morning coffee, growing beans is as simple pleasure that just never gets old for me. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I recall doing an experiment with growing beans when I was in grade 4 or 5, sowing seeds in styrofoam cups and once they were up watering one with coffee, one with plain water, and one with something else (probably salt water or something bizarre like that). It had such a profound impact on me to see the sprouts break the soil, and then to have control over their inputs after that. Perhaps that is why seeing a bean seed germinate and explode through the surface of the soil is still such a source of bliss after all of these years. Like morning coffee, growing beans is as simple pleasure that just never gets old for me. :)

me either. :) :) :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our pet rabbit loves beans more than life itself. They are her greatest joy in life. I will have to keep a very close eye on my network beans to make sure she doesn't log them, and I am considering planting a special bean patch just for her to decimate. ;)
Try planting a patch of soybeans. It's like catnip for bunnies (and deer :rolleyes:). Bunnies love clover too, I leave a corner of the lawn unmowed for them. I've told them that if they stay out of my gardens, I'll water their clover... live & let live. So far they've honored that ?agreement? (agreement is assumed, since I don't speak rabbit).

The rabbit has been there in the clover the last few days. Kind of cute, how it hunkers down in the clover when I'm out in the yard, as if it can successfully hide beneath 4" clover. :lol:

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think the bean in a styrofoam cup experiment planted a little 'gardener to be' seed in a great many gardeners! 🌱

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It snowed today.
20230615_162443.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of that "fuzzy snow" flying around here too. It was almost chilly enough today for that to make me nervous.. it's been a weird start to the summer so far. :hide I still have several flats of cool-sensitive plants in the house - fortunately no beans fell in that category. The hyacinth beans that were already transplanted into the garden don't look happy though.