2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't be hard for me to make a list of which plants have beans, because there is only one! Here are Blooming Prairie bush snap, which have the honour of being the earliest snap beans in our garden this year. Apparently they are more of a semi-runner, so I gave them some twigs to climb up; makes them look like clothes hanging out to dry on a line! 😍
Interesting flowers on that one.

Paul G

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm sorry for not being present on the forum and being too busy to read your posts.
I just want to let know that beans are flowering in France (I started very late) so it was time to put on my nets to prevent hybridization (I know I am probably the only one to do this lol). Here is my set up: Two rows of climbers (Phaseolus vulgaris and coccineus) and two rows of bush (Phaseolus vulgaris and soybean).
I can't wait to be in the harvesting season !
Thank you for your time.
Paul
357991137_981180823208182_7046276586016823940_n.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm sorry for not being present on the forum and being too busy to read your posts.
I just want to let know that beans are flowering in France (I started very late) so it was time to put on my nets to prevent hybridization (I know I am probably the only one to do this lol). Here is my set up: Two rows of climbers (Phaseolus vulgaris and coccineus) and two rows of bush (Phaseolus vulgaris and soybean).
Thank you for your time.
Paul
View attachment 58662
Nice set up @Paul G! Does it get hot under the fabric or do the temps stay the same on both sides?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Couple more bean pics.

Prince Purple blossom
20230710_153117.jpg

Network bean Botosani Splash pods! I think that this is a yellow podded variety, but I'm not sure since I only found these pods today. They may have been green at first.
20230710_155027.jpg

Network bean Dead Man's Tooth.
20230710_155152.jpg

First pole bean to make pods, network bean Zarganos of Zestos!
20230710_152222.jpg

My bush bean bed is FINALLY starting to bush out.
20230710_153215.jpg

I'm growing Hopi Pink for the first time, which I thought was a bush bean, but I saw today it's throwing runners. Mosquitoes are a bit thick in the bush right now so I opted for tomato cages as supports.
20230710_152642.jpg

This one, Mongeta Castellfolit de Boix, is starting to climb; did it grow that way for you @Artorius ?
20230710_153000.jpg

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thank you for your time.
Paul
View attachment 58662
Paul, that is an impressive set up! Do you have a special reason for covering your bean plants (such as for see selling pure seed)? Mine are not covered, but I do isolate network beans by a wide margin for reasons of seed purity.

Paul G

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Paul, that is an impressive set up! Do you have a special reason for covering your bean plants (such as for see selling pure seed)? Mine are not covered, but I do isolate network beans by a wide margin for reasons of seed purity.
Yes I do sell a bit of seeds and I prefer to protect them to make sure customers will get what they've ordered. I do the same for tomatoes and pretty much all my seed catalogue. I'm growing about 35 varieties of bean this year, so I can't to spread them all in my farm.

colcol

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have heard of the pole dry bean called 'Lipstick (Choc-tow Indian)'? It is a bold scarlet red bean. When I google it, I can't find anything about it. I only have the info from the site I purchased it from. Perhaps it has a different name? I was just curious if anyone's heard of it.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have heard of the pole dry bean called 'Lipstick (Choc-tow Indian)'? It is a bold scarlet red bean. When I google it, I can't find anything about it. I only have the info from the site I purchased it from. Perhaps it has a different name? I was just curious if anyone's heard of it.

Lipstick (Chow-Tow Indian) Grown at SSE's Heritage Farm in Decorah, Iowa

Pole habit. This bean can be eaten as both a shelling and dry bean. Holds up very well to cooking and has a great flavor with some sweetness. Vigorously climbing, leafy plants. Immature pods are green and highly constricted. Pods turn light yellow when mature. Fully expanded pods measure 6.0-7.8 long and 0.5-0.6 wide. Seeds are large, kidney shaped, and bright pink at shelling stage and reddish brown when dry. 7-8 seeds per pod. Relatively late maturing. Low productivity when grown on Heritage Farm in 2018. Jeff McCormack, founder of Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, received this variety in 1993 from Ben Pennington of Corbin, Kentucky. Mr. Pennington told McCormack that he had gotten a pint of the seeds from an old man in the early 1980s who said that his family had grown them for 50 or more years. Therefore, SSE estimates this variety dates to at least the 1930s. Jeff McCormack shared this variety with SSE in 2016. SSE Accession # 133154 Dr. Jeff McCormack, 2016

Last edited:

Latest posts