2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I received these seeds as Brown Cow in a swap They failed a couple of years ago when I first tried therm but this year did very well. They're a bush variety. The seed this year has come out with quite a lot more red than the seed I received, which surprised me as I had thought I usually end up with more white.

I can't find any information about Brown Cow online but I really like the colouring and pattern of the seed coat. I wondered whether by any chance anyone has come across this variety or even a different variety with a similar seed coat.

IMG_5091.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't find any information about Brown Cow online but I really like the colouring and pattern of the seed coat. I wondered whether by any chance anyone has come across this variety or even a different variety with a similar seed coat.
Yes I have a bean now called Money with a very similar seed coat and it supposedly comes from Great Britain. Money was part of John Withee's Wanigan bean collection (Lynnfield, Massachusets) in the late 1970's. I acquired it about 1978 or 79 and I too have always loved this beans seed coat.

Here Is my photo from my 2021 grow out of Money.

Your beans have more of an oval look to them mine are more kidney shaped. Maybe the two beans are related somehow. There is also a bean from Germany that sort of looks similar called Frauenbohne but not as much of a look-a-like as Money.

money.jpg

Money - Bush Dry

Frauenbohne.jpg

Frauenbohne - Bush Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peinsipps Zweifarbige - Pole Dry. I acquired this bean in 2013 from my Liebenfels Austria bean trading friend. Guy Dirix states on his website the the bean probably comes from Eastern Styria. Styria is a mountainous, forested state in southern Austria, The bean struggled this past summer and just about all the quality beans are in my photo. I love the bean and will try again next summer.

Ping Zebra - Pole Lima. Seeds of this bean were sent to me from lima collector and breeder in Iowa. The beans he sent me were much deeper darker red that Ping Zebra, but after I harvested my growing of them they didn't look any different shade of light red than Ping Zebra.

Peinsipps Zweifarbige.jpgPing Zebra.jpg
Peinsipps Zweifarbige - Pole Dry.........................Ping Zebra - Pole Lima

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I received these seeds as Brown Cow in a swap They failed a couple of years ago when I first tried therm but this year did very well. They're a bush variety. The seed this year has come out with quite a lot more red than the seed I received, which surprised me as I had thought I usually end up with more white.

View attachment 62250

to me that looks like a cross between Money and Early Warwick. Money is more of a large kidney bean shape and Early Warwick is the rounder and smaller bean. i don't have any experience with Brown Cow.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes I have a bean now called Money with a very similar seed coat and it supposedly comes from Great Britain. Money was part of John Withee's Wanigan bean collection (Lynnfield, Massachusets) in the late 1970's. I acquired it about 1978 or 79 and I too have always loved this beans seed coat.

Here Is my photo from my 2021 grow out of Money.

Your beans have more of an oval look to them mine are more kidney shaped. Maybe the two beans are related somehow. There is also a bean from Germany that sort of looks similar called Frauenbohne but not as much of a look-a-like as Money.

View attachment 62251
Money - Bush Dry

View attachment 62253
Frauenbohne - Bush Dry
Thank you both very much. Yes, the three beans, Money, Frauenbohne and Brown Cow all have that third peachy colour which is less prominent on Brown Cow, but is there and makes for a very pleasing seed coat.
Money is quite close but as you say a different shape. My donor wasn’t British. He grew in mainland Europe.
I don’t know Early Warwick. Brown Cow is certainly rounder in shape but it’s quite a large seed.
I grew Frauenbohne this year but it was a victim of rust which was one of my main problems in this difficult year, especially for the earlier bush beans. (I’m trying to stay out of the dwarf controversy!) So I hadn’t made any connection with Brown Cow but it has those similar three colours. .
I have messaged my donor to see whether he can come up with any information but the swap was some years ago and he doesn’t grow at the moment so perhaps hasn’t kept any record. I’ll let you know.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I received a seed request yesterday (even though I indicated in my grower info I only accept requests between Jan and May, lol) but they never noticed that so no biggie, I'm not terribly busy at the moment and, moreover, they picked some really good beans! I was happy to fulfil this particular request; it'd be real nice to see Armenian Giant and Fasold be grown more widely and those were on their list, so I saw it as a chance to do some PR & promo for rare beans. 🪂

Beanmad Nanna

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm thinking of growing Blue Gold Star as a network bean in 2024. Does anyone have any experiences they could share about growing that bean? I'm wondering about DTM and productivity.
Ooh I spotted that on my peruse this evening . I'd like to know more about it too

Beanmad Nanna

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

View attachment 62250
really liking the look of these - not seen the name about.

Latest posts