2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am sorry that things are so expensive!! :hugs
My best resource is that with a 5 acre property, separate garage, one barn and 2 other outbuildings, I can SAVE things like fencing. ALL of my 5 rows of fencing were built with leftover, already owned materials, so...free, except for the cost of my labor, 25 hours worth.
Look at @Phaedra , and how she uses "found" materials to build. IF you can get any free wooden pallets, it isn't too hard to saw them apart to build things. Certainly, in 1974, when I was on a band/choral tour, which included 3 days in London, I saw front yard gardening.
If you can be creative, you can find stuff to use.
I have also seen same done more recently on city lots locally, and in big cities Here in the US.
My point was to consider NOT spending the $ or pounds on expensive things to garden with.
And, I believe that chicken wire has multiple uses.
I watched a program recently on this place, in Maine:
They construct figures with chicken wire with metal supports, that load up LED "fairy lights".
It isn't as pretty as cow panels. However, the manufacturers of such stuff now "have our number," have raised their prices as they now cater to gardeners. Many years ago they didn't know that we existed.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What a great weekend! I received a dream of a lifetime seed request on Friday, much of which was beans, and I've been making labels and packing all weekend long. 3 days & I'm finally done, it's bittersweet 🤣. I may never get a seed request like that ever again! It is nice to see people so interested in heirloom beans. Seems like when people like beans, they REALLY like 'em! For all the tomatoes I have, beans are probably still my most requested type of seed. It's a blessing that they are also the easiest seed to pack!

Another source of jubilation - my new custom stamp! I'd like to really slow down on buying expensive ink cartridges for my cheapo printer, and this seemed like an economical alternative. I can buy nearly 100 of the big labels for a buck, and a stamp pad for a buck.
IMG_6317.JPG

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a great weekend! I received a dream of a lifetime seed request on Friday, much of which was beans, and I've been making labels and packing all weekend long. 3 days & I'm finally done, it's bittersweet 🤣. I may never get a seed request like that ever again!
Oh yes you will get orders like that again. It reminds me of one of the Carpenter's songs, but I will say it like this. "You've Only Just Begun". More people are going to find your website and some may even tell you they want them all. You will get a lot of smaller and medium sized orders but more biggies are yet to come. Occassionlly I get orders for 2 or $300. A little over a year ago I got two orders from a fellow in France. He ordered over $400 in November and once he was satisfied that his orders were going to come to him and pass customs. He ordered over another $300 worth of beans the following month. It literally took me all day to pack one of his packages.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very bad news looming on the horizon this week. 😞

There is opposition desperately trying to stand in the way, but it looks like April 1st there will actually be a 23% tax hike in the already existing federal cArBoN tAx. Gasoline bought today was 167.9/litre, so in two weeks that would be 206.6/litre. 1 litre = 0.26 gallons, so roughly, $7.82/gallon is how I think that would work out or close to it. This is worse than nuts. Last week I mailed a $24.00 dollar package of beans which cost $4.00 to ship. That's alot already, but I can't imagine what shipping something will cost if this 🤬 goes through. I'll definitely need to increase my shipping rates, which makes me very sad. Possibly the seeds too. The seeds will be placed further out of reach and at a time when people will be needing them more than ever because this will mean realtime, not enough calories level hunger for people. Insanity is truly king. 🤡

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very bad news looming on the horizon this week. 😞

There is opposition desperately trying to stand in the way, but it looks like April 1st there will actually be a 23% tax hike in the already existing federal cArBoN tAx. Gasoline bought today was 167.9/litre, so in two weeks that would be 206.6/litre. 1 litre = 0.26 gallons, so roughly, $7.82/gallon is how I think that would work out or close to it. This is worse than nuts. Last week I mailed a $24.00 dollar package of beans which cost $4.00 to ship. That's alot already, but I can't imagine what shipping something will cost if this 🤬 goes through. I'll definitely need to increase my shipping rates, which makes me very sad. Possibly the seeds too. The seeds will be placed further out of reach and at a time when people will be needing them more than ever because this will mean realtime, not enough calories level hunger for people. Insanity is truly king. 🤡

advertize your availability at the seed swaps and tell people if they show up for those that you include a minimal handling fee (to cover your expenses for sure, but then at least you don't have to worry so much about the shipping costs).

the other point though is that obviously those who ship using EVs or those who use carbon offsets will not have to charge more, so they will be more competitive.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm posting this for everyone's enjoyment. I found this fellow by accident yesterday while looking at something else, sort of magical how that happens. His photos are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen of P. vulgaris and favas, he even seems to be able to turn ordinary plant sprigs into specimens of beauty with the lens. This young man has an incredible talent with a camera! Enjoy!

Also, @Blue-Jay it looks like some of your beans are in his catalogue, I've never seen Pink Emperor anywhere else but your site?? Your beans really are - literally - world travellers!! 🌎

If you don't have instagram, you might be able to see some photos this way -

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm posting this for everyone's enjoyment. I found this fellow by accident yesterday while looking at something else, sort of magical how that happens. His photos are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen of P. vulgaris and favas, he even seems to be able to turn ordinary plant sprigs into specimens of beauty with the lens. This young man has an incredible talent with a camera! Enjoy!

Also, @Blue-Jay it looks like some of your beans are in his catalogue, I've never seen Pink Emperor anywhere else but your site?? Your beans really are - literally - world travellers!! 🌎

wonderful picture of peas. :)

If you don't have instagram, you might be able to see some photos this way -

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This fellow is Gabriel Hess. He lives in Oeschenbach, Switzerland. You found another of my European contacts. Gabriel and I trade beans from time to time. He is from who I got Karoffelbohne from. Gabriel also trades and acquires beans from Guy Dirix in Belgium.

I bet you were surpised to see Pink Emperor in this fellows collection. He also has Candy and a bunch of those Ping Zebra segregations. He will grow some of his beans in a small greenhous he has. He is of university age. I think he actually contacted me first when he was still in high school. He either found my website or found me on Facebook.