2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
been cooking a lot of beans this morning to make baked beans. two three gallon pots full... they smell so good already and we've not even gotten to the next stage yet. :) my stomach is telling me it wants to eat these for breakfast...

1/3rd Great Northern (not grown by me)
1/3 Purple Dove
1/3 Yellow Eye + Painted Pony

time to stir and check them again. they should be close to ready for the next stage...

Last edited:

VegBaby

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes! I love the blue beans (like Sacre Bleu) , and the purple beans especially. I mean, there is so many pretty ones out there! Kiagara Mame is another one that is rather unique in it's seedcoat colors. I love the intense bright pink of a freshly dried Junin bean too. Popping open those dried pods looking for goodies is such fun.

I love borlotti beans, I grew 2 last year Stephano Borlotti D'Avento from @Blue-Jay (which was a stunning plant and enormously tall) and also Borlotti del Vardano, a bush bean. Both wonderfully high yielding beans, and even though BdV was a bush variety the plants were quite large. I plant to grow Lambada this season, another one from @Blue-Jay 's collection and it's classed as a horticultural type, I'm not sure if that's synonymous with borlotti's, but the seeds look like borlottis. I bet your Lamon will be gorgeous, the pods on those types seem to light up with color as they mature.

That's how I found this forum too, through the Bean Collector's Window. I was amazed at the amount of beans on there, just shocked. I had no idea there were so many. When I recommend it to other seed savers I sometimes describe it as The Bean Encyclopedia. :)
Ooooooh Kiagara Mame looks so pretty too!

I grew some Lofthouse Landrace Bush Beans last year which were so fun to shell, there were such different beans of different colours and shapes from that patch. Pops of red, cream, brown etc.

Yes, I've heard Borlotti bean plants are big and productive so that'll be nice. I just can't wait to have a busy garden with lots of beans growing 🌿

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few more beans from 2023.

Kitoba
I took photos a little late because the seeds were already starting to change color. Right after shelling, they were all violet.

Kitoba 1 .jpg
Kitoba 2.jpg

Tunny

Tunny 1.jpg
Tunny 2.jpg

Buddha's Bellybutton

Buddha's Bellybutton 1.jpg
Buddha's Bellybutton 2 .jpg

Pale Grey Lavender

Pale Grey Lavender 1.jpg
Pale Grey Lavender2.jpg

Mother Earth

Mother Earth 1.jpg
Mother Earth 2.jpg

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few more beans from 2023.

Kitoba
I took photos a little late because the seeds were already starting to change color. Right after shelling, they were all violet.

View attachment 64296
View attachment 64297

Tunny

View attachment 64283
View attachment 64284

Buddha's Bellybutton

View attachment 64287
View attachment 64289

Pale Grey Lavender

View attachment 64290
View attachment 64291

Mother Earth

View attachment 64292
View attachment 64295
That Kitoba is quite nice! We grew Pale Grey Lavender a couple years ago and really liked it. Such nice beans and such good photos!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I went to Seedy Sunday this weekend. On the seed exchange table I found the sweetest envelope, an elderly lady had donated special seeds. I could tell that even the envelope was many decades old. The older generation took such good care of their things. If I can find room (not likely!) this year I'd like to grow these out,
IMG_6234.JPG
and if not, next year for sure. This town is small enough I may yet be able to track down some info about this bean. Interesting that there are 2 colours in there. I must be getting sappy, because this so touched my heart.
IMG_6237.JPG

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
2023 continuation.

Red Rooster - Australian borlotto type bean.

Red Rooster 1.jpg
Red Rooster 2.jpg

Rassacher Kipfler from Steiermark, Austria.
I fell in love with kipfler beans. Attractive pods appearance and incredible fertility. I have several other varieties and I will grow them regularly.

Rassacher Kipfler 3.jpg
Rassacher Kipfler 1.jpg
Rassacher Kipfler 2.jpg

Monachello di Esino Lario from Lecco, Lombardy, Italy. Freshly shelled seeds were more pink in color.

Monachello di Esino Lario 1.jpg
Monachello di Esino Lario 2.jpg

Murusieddu Rosso from Sarconi, Basilicata, Italy.

Murusieddu Rosso 1.jpg
Murusieddu Rosso 2.jpg

Latest posts