75* hour and a half ago, 21* tonight

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad used to leave the kitchen faucet trickling a bit during the coldest nights. I guess it worked.
Bay, I hope your cold spell doesn't last long, and has no lasting effects.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had quite a bit of experience working with galvanized water pipes, especially in the greenhouse. I still don't know about "pex."

I'd never even seen it until my bathroom sink had to be moved in a remodel 3 years ago. An episode of This Old House explained a little about it, the other day. Shoot. Copper pipe seems kind of new to me ;). Dad thought I was quite the modern for putting pvc pipe underground 40 years ago.

Another thing I don't know about is pipes in attics. Yikes!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a house up on blocks, very popular around here before concrete slabs became the way to do things, you reeeeeeeely don't want to crawl under the house to thaw out frozen pipes with a torch. No, I've never been that stupid, but it happens. I have however, crawled under the house with a hairdryer and a loooong extension cord, while DH yelled out the window that I was crazy and it would never work.....oh shutup and go turn the water on. :smack

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DH has crawled under the house with a torch. The worst part was that under the house was a popular cat litter box area!
That pipe has heat tape now, but we are only allowed to plug that in during daylight hours when we are home, due to sister in Alaska sending multiple articles about heat tape and house fires.
This year, we had an additional pipe freeze in the wall. No heat tape there, but it did not burst.
I'm looking forward to having a basement!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monday night it rained, the temps dropped and we woke up Tuesday morning to Frozen Land. Everything was coated in ice and it looked like some of @Kassaundra 's pictures she has posted. Just the ice part, her pictures are prettier than my yard. ;) Is this stuff ever going to go away? :barnie

My English peas were coated in ice. They had a growth spurt in the warm weather we had and were looking good. Icebound, they didn't look so good. But by yesterday afternoon, they were thawed out and by this morning, they looked normal again. English peas are tough! They've been snowed on twice and iced twice.

No more freezing weather is predicted for the rest of the week, just cloudy skies and more rain. Tuesday is supposed to be sunny and back up to 75* !! :weee I sure hope so, I'm tired of this stuff!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@baymule - saw this on Facebook and thought of you!!

10006242_10152020516153131_510650622_n.jpg

Latest posts