75* hour and a half ago, 21* tonight

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH called Time and Temperature at 4:30 AM and it was 16* :epI took the dogs out to potty awhile ago and vegetation looks rather sad.....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Instead of sitting staring out the window, we are going to my sister's house in Conroe (hour away) and stare out of her windows and cozy up to her gas logs fireplace. :lol: DH is off work on Sunday and Monday, so we are skedaddling out of here.:weee

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Bay, it's warmer here than at your place! That's awful. We at least are set up for the cold, mentally as well as physically.

Hopefully you'll get some warm air flow soon. You can have your sunshine back, we don't have it, I guess we weren't sucking hard enough. :confused:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is 30* now and will go down to 25* tonight, plus freezing rain. Yay-NOT! We had a nice visit with my sister and BIL, and got home in time to feed horses, chickens, dogs, gather eggs and give chickens warm water to drink.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that some folks don't give too much credence to wind chill, considering it an unreal temperature or something but we and our critters are flesh & blood.

Your windy conditions last night were not good.

The other day here it was something like 16°f with gusts to 40mph. I want to tell you it was cold! I was thinking how I'm getting acclimated to winter yesterday - out in my t-shirt in the backyard for a couple of minutes. It was 11° - but, the wind wasn't blowing! (DW had to sew a torn pocket on my shirt . . . :))

Not only is wind hard on living things, it blows into houses. I'm not in the least happy that DW tells me she can hear the vent above the kitchen exhaust fan lift during those 40mph gusts. All sorts of "air exchange" is going on inside a house with winds, especially in an old house. Expensive to heat and there is an increased danger of freezing pipes.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our pipes are in the attic. Old pipes. At least until a couple years ago. Old galvanized pipes in the attic spring leaks. We patched and patched, held our breaths, turned off the water and drained the pipes in freezing weather. Well.......all for nought. I came home one day to water running down the sidewalk. Further investigation revealed a flooded house, ceiling caved in, wet mess, not fun. I turned water off, surveyed the damage and cried. Two weeks with no water, plumbers working, insurance adjusters and all the accompanying good times that go with it. Wrecked out the sheetrock, tore up the floors, had a blast. Got PEX pipe installed all over the house. Great stuff. Expands and doesn't burst. Bring it on freeze!! :plbb

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, burst pipes! How awful.

We did have our pipes freeze a couple of times this long, endless winter, but not burst.
As a result, we are finally planning on having a foundation put in this spring (we are on posts).

Latest posts