A few pictures from this week

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had them in CA, one of the first birds that I learned the name of. Mom told me what they were while on a family hike. She said they had them on the farm in eastern Idaho and that they were a favorite of hers.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Killdeer is a Midwest bird, and I think native to the Great Lakes. They nest on the ground, prefer cover, and will feign a broken wing to pull predators away from their eggs and young. They have a distinctive cry. I feel sorry for those that nest in my north pasture bc nothing will stop a horse from smashing the nest.
Parents built their home in the Chicago Suburbs in the 1960's, in a neighborhood with lots not yet all sold. We had a couple of lots right next to our 1/2 acre property and I saw a lot of Killdeer who nested in the brush. At that time the owners weren't being TOLD to mow it, like HOA's do today. We had a lot of Queen Anne's Lace and other native grasses, and even some garter snakes. We were also naughty and rode our bikes to building sites in the neighborhood and played there. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure which picture (birdie standing up over her nest or the clouds)? thank you and you're welcome. :)

they are not city birds, they like an area of open space to put their nests in and for foraging, the range map for them shows them in California all year. often they can be found along the beach or on some flats.
The one of the bird standing on gravel with the blurry tulips in the background especially the yellow tulip. Lol

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The one of the bird standing on gravel with the blurry tulips in the background especially the yellow tulip. Lol

Mary

we are partial to yellows, pinks and purples around here so i used to try to get a lot more of them. i planted these gardens years ago with a lot of tulips but most of them have now been moved or died back (click on the pic to see big version and you can pan to the sides):

100_7450_Wide_Angle_Tulips.jpg

there are other tulip pics on this page:

http://www.anthive.com/project/tulips/

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Killdeer is a Midwest bird, and I think native to the Great Lakes. They nest on the ground, prefer cover, and will feign a broken wing to pull predators away from their eggs and young. They have a distinctive cry. I feel sorry for those that nest in my north pasture bc nothing will stop a horse from smashing the nest.
Parents built their home in the Chicago Suburbs in the 1960's, in a neighborhood with lots not yet all sold. We had a couple of lots right next to our 1/2 acre property and I saw a lot of Killdeer who nested in the brush. At that time the owners weren't being TOLD to mow it, like HOA's do today. We had a lot of Queen Anne's Lace and other native grasses, and even some garter snakes. We were also naughty and rode our bikes to building sites in the neighborhood and played there. :rolleyes:

check a range map for them @ducks4you. i thought they were limited to the east of the Rockies but they are not.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just yesterday, I heard a bird in my now abandoned garden. She was under a bush sitting on four eggs on the ground. I'll go take a photo.

they hatched, i spent some time trying to find the lil peepers but could not find them. the parents were around trying to decoy me away. i'd sit and watch for a while but they never seemed to go to one area so they were being very crafty, or the peepers are already over into the south farm field which they were also using.

if i had more patience i'd sit and watch some more but i'm whupped...

the nest out front had two eggs in it for a few days, but i checked it today and it has four eggs in it now.

Latest posts