A henless garden, 2019

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My potatoes seem to be recovering from the frosting they got a couple weeks ago.

I did some planting this past week. I've got my tomatoes in and planted my cucumbers and pole beans. Going to wait a bit on the peppers. Give them time to get a bit bigger before putting them out. My strawberries are doing good in their crates. Lots of green berries.

IMG_6339.JPG

Had some storms blow through earlier today. Several tornadoes reported to areas southwest of us. Glad it all died down by the time it got here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My potatoes seem to be recovering from the frosting they got a couple weeks ago.

I did some planting this past week. I've got my tomatoes in and planted my cucumbers and pole beans. Going to wait a bit on the peppers. Give them time to get a bit bigger before putting them out. My strawberries are doing good in their crates. Lots of green berries.

View attachment 31179

Had some storms blow through earlier today. Several tornadoes reported to areas southwest of us. Glad it all died down by the time it got here.

good to hear you all are ok down that ways! :)

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Boy, I've been bad for not updating. :(

Let's see, the strawberries were a bust. Too darn much rain so they rotted while still green. I didn't even get to go pick any either. The upick was only open a couple of weeks and they lost all their strawberries too. So sad.

I got my potatoes up & canned. I ended up with 16 qts.

I've got 24 qts of green beans & about 20 qts in the freezer. I had to get a new canner since the one I JUST bought last year had started pitting in the bottom. Presto sent me a new one free, but I had to send them my old lid, so wasn't really free.

I planted another round of green beans a few weeks ago. I'll have my first picking of them tomorrow. I hope they continue until frost.

I put up 4/5 cases of pint pickles. I didn't plant any for fall since I had plenty!

My tomatoes didn't do squat this year. I do have one that I grew from seed, Sweet 100. I planted 2 of them and they are both going strong. You can see it at the far end. One on each side. I just let it do what it wants too. Seems to grow better that way.

IMG_6627.JPG

I've planted squash twice. Early summer and again in late summer. The latest is growing good, just not getting fertilized. I'm assuming it's from the intense heat. It was 96* here yesterday. It's 67* now. But still no rain.

IMG_6622.JPG

Now, my malabar spinach has gone nuts! It's also a pretty vine. Red stems with dark green leaves. It loves the heat.

IMG_6629.JPG IMG_6630.JPG IMG_6628.JPG

That is just 2 plants in a 6" pot that I set on top of my raised bed. The roots have long left the pot and are in the bed. There are 2 kinds, red stem & green stem.

My peppers are doing good now. I'll be putting my 2nd picking in the dehydrator later this evening.

It's been so hot & dry here. I go out tend the chickens, weed, water and go back in the house. We did get rain here this morning, less than 1/10". I was out watering this morning.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we picked a pile of peppers yesterday. they like a lot of sun and warm to get ripe but they also seemed happy with all this rain we've had recently. which surprised me, but it was also fairly warm up until this past week when the temperatures finally went down to the low 40s overnight.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes it did Bay. I didn't think it would ever leave! I don't think its totally gone yet. We're supposed to get back into the 90's Wed/Thur. :(

Latest posts