a New Home

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
With many old homes ... a match would be an improvement ! Much cheaper to rebuid then to fix and repair daily.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know there are many valid reasons for tearing down an old house and starting fresh, but we are tearing down our past. There should be a point at which the inconveniences caused by an old building is counterbalanced by an appreciation of the construction, style and personality of an old building.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know there are many valid reasons for tearing down an old house and starting fresh, but we are tearing down our past. There should be a point at which the inconveniences caused by an old building is counterbalanced by an appreciation of the construction, style and personality of an old building.
Yea , but they are still a money pit !!! There are many TV shows touting remodeling and all they show how much it costs to do the remodel and what the new value is based on the cost of the remodel. Hmmm ! Reality is nowhere near their tout. Just look at the sale prices on your local Real Estate Mutiple Listing Service. :th

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My uncle was on the board of directors for the Los Angeles Conservancy. It drove him crazy how old LA homes where torn down for new money Mc mansions.He thought the city was losing it's history.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I question my practicality. It's something I need to guard against.

You see, I appreciate the "style and personality" of all sorts of things but I want results! I mean, if I'm doing it - I'll seek out the straight line. If the result is lacking style and personality, I'm not happy. However, I can hardly expect more from myself with all efforts towards getting it right and getting it done. Getting it done is a great big deal for me and i will jettison everything in the way of artistry too easily.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My house was empty 10 to 15 years depending what neighbor you ask. Kids broke in and vandalize it, even set it on fire. Yet I saw the great bones it had, and rebuilt almost every thing. In rebuilding I did every thing I wanted even if my contractor suggested different. I am happy with the out come and hope to retire there one day.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sold our fixer upper last year, and bought a new uniquely constructed house. Master builder, very particular, designed and did every bit of construction on our new home. Took him 4 years but its a masterpiece. Best decision we ever made!

Latest posts