a New Home

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH maybe you can follow your sister's progress and report on that for us.

It is sad to have to start from nothing.

It doesn't sound like the furnishings are left!

Steve
seems the fire started on the outside of the kitchen. they lost some antiques that she used in there but they were able to save some clothing and some valuables they kept in a fireproof safe at the opposite end of the house. my 12 year old nephew was the only one at home while my sister took my older nephew to work. BIL was at work when it started. cleaning company came in and took the clothing that was salvageable to clean and will return it when ready. the next step is waiting to get a temp housing unit delivered to the property so they can stay put while they demo & rebuild the house if they choose to do that.

eta: 12 yo nephew got out safely and called 911. only their dog and kitten didn't make it.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Difficult experience for a kid to go through, especially losing the pets.

I'm thinking of replacing a door or two. The neighbor said that they have replaced nearly all of their interior doors. That is something that had not occurred to me. In the privacy thread I said that interior doors are not too important to me. I leave closet doors open overnight. Probably, an unnecessary habit carried here from living a few years on the coast.

The bedroom door would be useful when I'm up an hour or more before DW. The thing must date from when the dining room was converted to a bedroom and won't close completely some weeks out of the year. Now. It works better in the winter, the opposite of what I'd have expected.

It's also nice to close the door into the utility room. That kitchen/utility door was once the backdoor, although there may have been an enclosed porch. Access to the basement is from what is now the utility room.

That door is a little warped and the wall may not be exactly vertical. Interesting to see the marks in the corner where it has been repeatedly kicked. It has cat scratch marks also, all painted over but on both sides. By the way, it doesn't help to kick it to ease its opening. I sticks on top, not on bottom or along the sides. Ancient glass window ... Yes, that is the view through my kitchen door, the washer and dryer.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Absolutely, open.

Towels need ventilation.

One reason I think I'd be content with a central bathroom is, I've got one now. It has no window.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because my powder room is next to public rooms I have a fan that comes on anytime lights turned on. Nothing more embarrassing then hearing someone with gas use the bathroom.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
All your talk of remodeling projects and dreams. . . That is what DH and I have done all of our married life. We purchase old homes and gut them from the inside out, repair, and the tear off everything from the outside in (to our repairs) and redo the windows, siding, etc.

I am so used to living amid construction tear out and replace. Dad did much the same when I was younger, buying, living in and fixing up 860, 911, 953, 1725, 748, 848, and 947 before I married and we continued with the fixing -- not so much the living in -- once this house was built.

DH had done much the same type of repair work with his father before 'us'. I have seen (and helped) level some pretty un-level floors. All the older houses seemed to sag from the limestone foundation walls to the middle of the house. Lots of beams added to basements, lots of shims added to everything else.

The monster DS has is a fine example of a lack of plumb bobs and squares in old buildings. Still, you can do anything with plastic pipe and wood is very forgiving. The first house DH and I bought was a two apartment. We moved into the upstairs with 'bedrooms' for the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, etc and a hallway down the middle. We got rid of the hallway entirely, moved the kitchen into a bedroom, put the bathroom fixtures and door in another wall, and opened the living room to a living room/dining room open space. You would never recognize it as the same place. Once it was done, we moved downstairs and rented out the upper.

It is easier to move walls about upstairs than down. Especially since there was a wall of oak cupboards between the kitchen and the dining room, but we put our mark on the downstairs apartment (always need new kitchens and bathrooms) before we bought the land and started building our forever home.

Steve, if DH and I were younger. . . . DH is a miracle worker when it comes to fixing up old houses.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did the same thing, NyBoy. Or, had quite a conversation with the electrician, who did it but wanted separate locations of switches.

He and I didn't have the same relationship as the contractor and me. That guy discouraged me from leveling the bathroom floor. Might point out how tile placement for tub surround was uneven as a result ... oh well, gives me an excuse for sloshing water on the floor while bathing. Nah, not that bad.

See Red, I refloored the bathroom once but have never worked with tile. I've changed light fixtures but better stay out of wiring in walls. I've done wood siding and both roll roofing and metal - not what is on my house. I've replaced valves but never when they have been so corroded and ill-placed that I fear ripping the pipe outta the wall with the effort ...

I've reroofed the garage and attached carport but never demolished them and the concrete slab because that garage must be 85 years old if it's a day.

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While I appreciate the elegance of older construction, I have to face facts. One fact is, I'm getting older ( as recently proved to me by a very heavy railroad tie). With that in mind, I don't want to have to make repairs to an older building, as I am older. Another fact is cost. Older buildings are more expensive to repair and maintain.

As I near my retirement years, I want new, and as maintenance free as possible. When you're 25, remodeling an 1890's farmhouse may be a good idea. When you're 50+, it's just not practical.

Latest posts