A Perennial Kale

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, it is the "cabbage" or "rutabaga" related kale.

Cabbage (Brassica oleracea): Scots kale, Portuguese kale, and Italian (Lacinato & Dinosaur) kale
Rutabaga (Brassica napus): Russian kale

I have Russian kale for the first time this year. I got a little confused about what new one I was trying in 2013. So, I don't know about Russian kale. I wasn't delighted with Italian kale last year - maybe it just didn't grow well.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, I never did get that sausage ... any of the sausage new-to-mes :\.

I've had the kale a number of times already this year. There isn't much Russian kale. I should try it again this evening :). (Soon, there will be Escarole to try, but that will be a different kettle of soup ;).)

The Portuguese kale went in with Soldier Beans from the 2013 garden, to make a pot of soup, yesterday. I think of Soldier beans as being kind of "potato-starchy" but I think I really should have put some potatoes in there. There was leftover steak for the meat.

It has been a couple of weeks since I've had Italian sausage from soopermarket. It's gotta be next since it's easy to find. And, I need to check the kitchen shelves for pearled barley for the Scotch kale. There's lots of kale from the garden these days and I'm eatin' it!

Steve

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' if you want some good Kale check out Adaptive Seeds in Oregon.
They sell some terrific Kale some of which are good for over wintering and such and also well flavored.

Take it from someone who spent long enough in the industry, that Territorial Seeds link was almost all sales pitch and not a lot of clear/true fact. That Kale is variegated and propagated by vegetative means to keep the variegation, apart from that there is nothing to make it unique, they just have to talk it up as much as possible because it is a patented F1 hybrid Kale and like such things they need to move it all to make their money since there are likely royalties ect involved.
There has always been plenty of cut and come again perennial Kale.
I do admit though it is quite pretty.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed this thread before, but I wanted to mention that I cook my kale a lot longer. It always comes out nice and tender, even mature leaves. I get a large pot and heat up some olive oil with a couple of minced cloves of garlic, then I toss in the chopped kale and saute for a couple of minutes just til it wilts down some. Then I pour in about one cup of water and put the lid on the pot and simmer for 20 minutes. At the end I like to add in a large jar of black eyed peas, drained. Or if I leave it plain, we add apple cider vinegar to it. My kids will even eat it this way. I love it in soups too. I love kale. :)

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had the Russian kale with a few little smokies beside Scotch kale, last night.

The Russian kale is more tender. DW wanted to know which of the 3 types I like better ... not gonna make that decision. I figure after 4 or 5 more years is soon enuf.

Thinking about trying @Ridgerunner's honey idea ...

Checking out that "Adaptive Seed" now :).

Steve

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know this is a late response to an old post but here we go anyhow. I grow three varieties of perennial kale; Kosmic Kale, Perennial Tree Collards (not perennial in my zone), and Sea Kale. I have to say that I am always surprised when someone say's they are not sure about growing a perennial variety of a plant. If it were up to me I would grow only perennial varieties of plants as they are more stable once established and are better adapted meaning they require less work.

In the case of my garden the Kosmic Kale is a very tasty kale and it is vigorous, much more so than even black palm (tuscano, dinosaur). More so than any other kale, on the Kosmic kale everywhere you harvest from grows a new plant that can be eaten or easily replanted as a cutting. I'm in Zone five and I've had no issues with this plant making it through the winter. It is well worth the investment and will pay for itself in a very short time.

The perennial tree collards are a different thing entirely. This plant is wonderful tasting but because it won't survive the winter I take cuttings from it and put those cuttings in a low light window for the winter. They have no problems regrowing from the cutting and I get about a 90% success rate without rooting hormone. Also I've had these plants grow to nine feet in one short New Hampshire season.

The Sea Kale (Lily white) is a bit of a hassle and isn't worth it for the Kale, but is worth it as a perennial broccoli. It is hard to start and not an easy plant to grow but once you get it right it keeps coming back.

Take care,

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey there, @jasonvivier! glad you joined us. The Kosmic Kale sounds like it would be a great addition to my garden. Do you have to protect it in winter? Or just leave it out in the weather? When did you plant it?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but if you are on this site long, you will find that I am always full of questions.
You are welcome to start a new thread and introduce yourself if you like, or just let us draw the information out of you slowly. We like pictures, so feel free!

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No problem. I planted them in 2012 with no winter protection and they have survived. They are durable enough though that I just rip two of them out of the ground and bring them inside every winter. I then replant them in the spring.
They are about two/three feet tall. I take cuttings from them and eat off them over the winter. Those plants I keep on the edges of my grow room because they don't like 100% full on light and actually seem to prefer some shade. Additionally I've never seen a bug eating off of the Kosmic Kale, but I don't generally compete with insects eating my edibles so I don't know if that is just because the insects in my garden are balanced or if the Kosmic Kale is just resistant.

It really is a great stable plant in my garden. Of the three though the purple tree collards taste the best with the Kosmic Kale being the best producer (for its size lol) The tree collards get huge.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
tumblr_njxqgphvpg1uo6e43o1_1280.jpg

Kosmic Kale from cutting, little tiny sea kale on the right, and a Rhubarb on the left, ignore the Rhubarb lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts