A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Chufa nuts. Somehow, in my garden mind/body fatigue of the last week, I forgot to mention that Chufa nuts also go by the name Tiger nuts, which always puzzled me. No stripes on them. And the smell led me to the idea that maybe..?

My daughter is so enchanted with this new fragrance she is trying to find a way to bottle it. She does this with most garden plants whose scent she enjoys, especially peonies. How many bowls full of water suspending peony petals, or other flowers, I've emptied over the years....:thBut in this case it seems to have worked quite well. The scent in the water is detectable for sure.

What's in a name? A lot I think! I've always felt pleased that Amish Gnuttle beans don't go by their English translation of turd beans!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Chufa nuts. Somehow, in my garden mind/body fatigue of the last week, I forgot to mention that Chufa nuts also go by the name Tiger nuts, which always puzzled me. No stripes on them. And the smell led me to the idea that maybe..?

My daughter is so enchanted with this new fragrance she is trying to find a way to bottle it. She does this with most garden plants whose scent she enjoys, especially peonies. How many bowls full of water suspending peony petals, or other flowers, I've emptied over the years....:thBut in this case it seems to have worked quite well. The scent in the water is detectable for sure.

What's in a name? A lot I think! I've always felt pleased that Amish Gnuttle beans don't go by their English translation of turd beans!
Or that Indishe Fleisch tomatoes don't either (In this day and age, calling a tomato "Indian Meat" would not go over well, especially with there already being a "Cannibal's Tomato" (Solanum upuro).

Likely crottins (the small goat cheeses) probably wouldn't sell as well if more people knew crottin meant "horse turd" Ditto the cheese Tetilla ("breast" due to the shape, though I always think it looks more like a Hershey's Kiss) and "Caca poule) ("Bird ****", the old name for what we now call Chocolate Pudding Fruit). And of course, all of the now racist named foods and plants.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I checked the seed heads of the last lettuce plants I suddenly understood what those little brown birds were doing hanging around for the last couple days. No seeds. 😕
20220930_114546.jpg

Appointment with tulips & daffodils Wednesday.
20220930_115750.jpg

Bis pods. Rooster combs🐓 Was supposed to post this on the bean thread but got mixed up, whoops 🙃.
20220928_210822.jpg

Jasmyn Risse pepper. Awesome variety, good taste, high production, seedy and plants grow to four feet. That's alot of peppers.
20220908_164812.jpg

Piazinho. Spinning top peppers. 🌪️
20220908_164554.jpg

Scorpions. Just the smell hurts.
20220908_164241.jpg

These wee little pepper plants never stopped producing all summer. As fast as I picked, was as fast as they ,made more peppers. Unbelievable for such mini''s. The smell is citrusy, the heat demonic.
20220906_135501.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HeirloomGal,

the first year that I grew millet in the garden, the House Finches showed up. They were not very commonly around but suddenly there were little flocks of them. They stripped the millet in about 4 days.

The millet wasn't for seed; it was for DW to use in dry flower arrangements. It was ruined! What I realized was that I should harvest the millet as soon as I saw those birds in the garden. I'm not sure how that would work for you. Perhaps, the lettuce plants could be cut and hung in a shed/garage and maybe they would complete their development there.

Steve

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
First bean almost ready to bloom, I think the blooms will be white. This is quite early for us.
View attachment 41482

First climbing pea variety to bloom, 'Saporro Express'. Way ahead of the others.
View attachment 41483

A new bean for me, 'Mayan Red'. It really stands out from the rest because the plant stems are actually pink. Very unique, I don't have another like it.
View attachment 41484

'National pickling' cucumbers growing well, partly due to the partial shade position I placed them in. I find the plants burn out much later than when planted in full sun.
View attachment 41486

Found this on a tomatillo plant. Seems like a good sign.
View attachment 41488

Blue tomatoes 'Rebel Starfighter' and 'Cosmic Eclipse' already making wee tomatoes. The blue tomatoes have often been the first to arrive in a season. The initial flavour of blue tomatoes when they came on the market was pretty dismal, but they have come a LONG way since. Cosmic Eclipse is really delicious.
View attachment 41489View attachment 41490

Alpine strawberries - my favourite type of strawberry. They come very close to the taste of wild strawberries; they're tiny, but they produce all season long. Rain can dilute the flavour somewhat, but they are quite drought resistant and don't need watering from me

First bean almost ready to bloom, I think the blooms will be white. This is quite early for us.
View attachment 41482

First climbing pea variety to bloom, 'Saporro Express'. Way ahead of the others.
View attachment 41483

A new bean for me, 'Mayan Red'. It really stands out from the rest because the plant stems are actually pink. Very unique, I don't have another like it.
View attachment 41484

'National pickling' cucumbers growing well, partly due to the partial shade position I placed them in. I find the plants burn out much later than when planted in full sun.
View attachment 41486

Found this on a tomatillo plant. Seems like a good sign.
View attachment 41488

Blue tomatoes 'Rebel Starfighter' and 'Cosmic Eclipse' already making wee tomatoes. The blue tomatoes have often been the first to arrive in a season. The initial flavour of blue tomatoes when they came on the market was pretty dismal, but they have come a LONG way since. Cosmic Eclipse is really delicious.
View attachment 41489View attachment 41490

Alpine strawberries - my favourite type of strawberry. They come very close to the taste of wild strawberries; they're tiny, but they produce all season long. Rain can dilute the flavour somewhat, but they are quite drought resistant and don't need watering from me.
View attachment 41491
Do you do anything for your alpine strawberry plant to survive snow and cold? I finally got mine to start growing and I should hate for the cold to kill it. I have already surrounded it with straw. Is that a problem where you are at in Ontario?

Latest posts