A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's actually a good idea, it's just that the peps are small & many and using any implements (minus the spoon) really slows me down. The wise part of my brain says choose the less painful route over the more time efficient one, while the energizer bunny part of my brain just repeats faster! faster! over and over again..

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the peppers are small, it might be easier to dry them, crush the peppers, and use screens to separate seeds from the pepper walls. I've done that; I slit the peppers so they will dry faster. Best done outside though - or under an exhaust fan - unless you are trying to clear out your sinuses.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If the peppers are small, it might be easier to dry them, crush the peppers, and use screens to separate seeds from the pepper walls. I've done that; I slit the peppers so they will dry faster. Best done outside though - or under an exhaust fan - unless you are trying to clear out your sinuses.
Genius. I think this is the ticket.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The magical etching watermelon seeds, it appears I've just come short of them being mature. Dang it. Still a few more out there so a few more kicks at the can possible. I'll see what they do overnight...
20220927_212043.jpg

Working like a charm @Zeedman, thank you!
20220927_153517.jpg

20220927_153558.jpg

Turns out sesame seeds start dropping even before the plants dry, hard little guys to catch!
20220927_153709.jpg

Cukes are done, these guys next!
20220927_153359.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cukes are done, these guys next!
20220927_153359.jpg
Judging by the color, most of those gherkins should have mature seed. You might want to let them sit until they soften though, before processing them. Do you still have any ripe cukes? I fermented the gherkins, but they didn't have enough juice on their own... I added enough cucumber juice to make the scooped-out gherkin seeds semi-liquid.

@heirloomgal , were you able to make any pickles from them?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I opened one up just to see where things were at, and there seemed to be some mature seed in there. Pretty much can't leave them outside any longer to further mature, too chilly. They do give way a little when I squeeze them, and are no longer real firm; the one I scooped out I could massage the seedy innards to get things a little soupy, since all my cucumbers have been fermented for seed so won't be able to get juice from those. I may have to add a tablespoon of water.

I WISH I knew how to pickle and can produce!!! It's one of those fear things, and I'm hugely intimidated by the process. As a gardener I've ALWAYS wanted those skills, but have settled for drying and freezing up to this point. I LOVE spicy kimchi, and would love to be able to try a fermented spicy pickle....someday....

🐔 :hit

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only thing that I have canned is jam, HeirloomGal. It is far from a regular thing; except for freezer jam, it's been a quarter of a century ago ;). Partly, it's been a de-emphasis of sugar and sugar is what keeps some things a little safer with canning.

Sour foods are just not eaten in quantities that warrant such effort and there is a learning curve. My two times failing with sauerkraut would be an example.

However, an approach ~ kindergarten level ~ might lead further into the science. First of all, I have successfully made refrigerator pickles and DW likes to make a simple cucumber salad, sans oil. Grated cucumber with chopped cherry tomatoes, garlic, and salt. Then, she prefers lime juice to vinegar. It keeps well in the fridge. I can only eat a bite or two but, even if I eat none, DW only smells of garlic for a short while.

🤭Steve

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whoop☆dee☆doo, I think I got some cotton! I'm revelling at the moment in whatever this is, and when I've savoured enough I'll pick it apart and see if there are any goodies in there.
20220928_153705.jpg
20220928_153639.jpg

One thing for sure @Pulsegleaner, Richter''s descriptions are not always accurate. This was described in their catalog as a triennial/biennial, and this plant is probably not much over 110 days old.

Day 2 of etching on the watermelon seeds. So, I guess even immature they do it. I grew this watermelon for the seeds but have been astonished to discover that it's one of the best watermelons I've ever grown. Even with not quite yet pink flesh the sweetness was already @ delicious level, and yet no place selling these talks about the taste only the seeds. 🙃
20220928_170558.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoop☆dee☆doo, I think I got some cotton! I'm revelling at the moment in whatever this is, and when I've savoured enough I'll pick it apart and see if there are any goodies in there.
View attachment 52301

you've found Uncle Fluffy! a long lost relative of the below picture, but i think you'll notice the similarities! :)

p9070035_Kiss_Kiss_thm.jpg

Latest posts