A Seed Saver's Garden

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although it's too late for the self-seeded broad bean, it's shoots are also delicious in soup or stir-fry :D

Other beans look so delicious ~~

i was out picking dry beans yesterday afternoon and evening and even found a few plants still flowering and trying to put on new pods. for a few of those bean plants i couldn't resist raiding them for fresh pods to eat right there. :) i found out that adzuki beans in the raw stage are "interesting" and may be more edible when cooked up but i have no actual experience with doing that, is that something you've tried?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i was out picking dry beans yesterday afternoon and evening and even found a few plants still flowering and trying to put on new pods. for a few of those bean plants i couldn't resist raiding them for fresh pods to eat right there. :) i found out that adzuki beans in the raw stage are "interesting" and may be more edible when cooked up but i have no actual experience with doing that, is that something you've tried?
I didn't try planting adzuki beans yet, but this year I received several bags good quality adzuki beans from Hokkaido, Japan. I will definitely plant them next spring.

Adzuki beans are interesting crops, we always eat them as dessert, into ice, pastry, cake, bread, pudding, milk shake, whatever. However, my husband looked totally astonished when he realized we use sugar to them, he only tried savory dishes with all kinds of beans.

I never eat them raw, because from my childhood adzuki beans = dessert. Besides, blanching is always required to remove its astringency, so i guess eating them raw might not be so pleasant. :D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't try planting adzuki beans yet, but this year I received several bags good quality adzuki beans from Hokkaido, Japan. I will definitely plant them next spring.

Adzuki beans are interesting crops, we always eat them as dessert, into ice, pastry, cake, bread, pudding, milk shake, whatever. However, my husband looked totally astonished when he realized we use sugar to them, he only tried savory dishes with all kinds of beans.

I never eat them raw, because from my childhood adzuki beans = dessert. Besides, blanching is always required to remove its astringency, so i guess eating them raw might not be so pleasant. :D

it wasn't... :)

my first experience of Phillipino culture was a friend who married a lady from there. she would talk about ice-cream having beans and corn in it. i've not experienced that directly yet. i also haven't had many desserts that Japanese or other cultures in that region mention but i would try them if someone made them.

in the USoA it is common for baked beans to have a sweet BBQ sauce base with tomato, meat (bacon and/or hot dogs are frequent) and onions - for us almost everything we cook has onions in it. when i make beans for me to eat i make them plain so we can freeze them to be used in other things or eaten and then when i thaw them out if i want to put something on them i can at that time, but normally i eat a lot of beans very plain because i want to be able to taste and appreciate the flavor and texture of the beans.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

@Phaedra Geiermann your husband & I had the same reaction! 😂 A friend I was visiting, who lived in a big city, took me to a - I think it was called 'pancake house' or maybe waffle house, for a treat. But what they served were these tiny little cakes cooked in waffle type irons that were shaped exactly like real walnuts, including the size. She told me they were filled with 'sweet adzuki paste' and I think I near fainted! I wouldn't try it! I don't know why, when I think about it now, because a near national dish in Canada is baked beans; which is basically white little beans cooked with sugar, onions, pork and some molasses.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it wasn't... :)

my first experience of Phillipino culture was a friend who married a lady from there. she would talk about ice-cream having beans and corn in it. i've not experienced that directly yet. i also haven't had many desserts that Japanese or other cultures in that region mention but i would try them if someone made them.

in the USoA it is common for baked beans to have a sweet BBQ sauce base with tomato, meat (bacon and/or hot dogs are frequent) and onions - for us almost everything we cook has onions in it. when i make beans for me to eat i make them plain so we can freeze them to be used in other things or eaten and then when i thaw them out if i want to put something on them i can at that time, but normally i eat a lot of beans very plain because i want to be able to taste and appreciate the flavor and texture of the beans.
CORN!? 🙊

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the first time I tried Chinese Rice Cakes. Originally I assumed that these were the same as the rice cakes I had encountered before; a compressed cake of popped rice grains eaten for primarily health reasons. However in China rice cakes are a kind of noodle (basically if you remember those "snakes" you used to make of play dough. Make one of those out of rice dough then slice it, and you have rice cakes.) They do really great things with them in Shanghai by adding pickled cabbage and shredded pork.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh it's true. Mais Con Yelo. 😮
It's actually not bad. A supermarket in the neighboring city carries several flavors of Magnolia ice cream, corn is one of them. They also have Halo-halo (which is a mixture of fruit & sweet beans) and avocado, among others. The family & I drove to Chicago years back, there was a Filipino ice cream shop that carried most of their flavors. I tried all of the more unusual ones, and most were good... it was an interesting experience. I've since looked for that shop while visiting Chicago, but it seems to have closed. :(

Latest posts