A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finally got the soybeans planted. Thank goodness because that task was really needing to be done. I hadn't opened any of the new packets, so was surprised what 2 of them looked like. 'Hoseki' may just be the largest soybean I've ever seen. 'Musan' was much tinier than I expected, but very cute - really dark little saddles on teeny beige beans. Sort of shiny too. I didn't plant many of each but will probably plant in clusters (of 2) similar to what I did last year which worked well. This year I'm giving Black Panther, Maple Glen, Ugra Saja, Cha Ka Kure, Tankuro along with the above two a try. I may still yet plant a few others but I need to do a space assessment first.

Got the pea bed raked up and three trellis's put in. That's one place ready for planting.

All the fam did general yard cleanup, wearing winter jackets. It was 8C/ 46F. Too cold to put plants out, it's a waiting game at this point. Feels so great to get organized. DH changed oil on lawnmower and generator, so we're good to go with the noisy stuff. We pump water with the gen, so needed to be done asap.

Weeded the shade perennial bed. Finally said goodbye to some old friends in there, it's time for a change. We all felt a little pinch to pull out those well established plants which have been in there for over a decade. The burgundy pansies suited the bed well though.

Not sure I'll get to planting watermelons or squash this year. I already feel behind and last year both crops did mediocre so I'm thinking of going with more reliable crops this year. I already feel gardening fatigue and it's not even June! :lol:

@Zeedman When planting my soybeans I remembered that I completely forgot about the marbled soybeans! I'll send you some if you still want them. PM me your address.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heirloomgal,

Do you use the soybeans for edamame?

DW has more of an interest in tofu than I do so she assisted the few times that we made tofu. Still, I found it to be quite a bother. I can imagine that it would be worth the effort if someone is a vegetarian.

I have next to no ideas about soymilk, although I like the store bought and suppose that I had soymilk those few times we made tofu. IMO: Edamame is simple, easy and tasty.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heirloomgal,

DW has more of an interest in tofu than I do so she assisted the few times that we made tofu. Still, I found it to be quite a bother. I can imagine that it would be worth the effort if someone is a vegetarian.

I have next to no ideas about soymilk, although I like the store bought and suppose that I had soymilk those few times we made tofu. IMO: Edamame is simple, easy and tasty.

if you had leftover bits of soybeans from making soymilk/tofu those are edible and can be used as filler in all sorts of ways.

personally, i agree with you, edamame was more my preference and desire. too bad the chipmunks here make growing them such a challenge.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heirloomgal,

Steve
I'm only really beginning to grow soybeans, I've had a mere 2 successful seasons growing them so far, and so I'm only saving seeds and building up stocks for now. I do love tofu, but am not growing enough soybean plants at this point to be able to eat and squirrel. Plus, the non GMO firm tofu I buy now is so delicious and so cheap I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to make my own. I am super picky about texture too. I used to really enjoy eating salted edamame at a wonderful restaurant I frequented years ago, Sapporo Ichiban. So, I do hope there is some edamame in my future! I've really hoping my new 'Hoseki' edamame soybeans do well this year.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I feel bad to do it, but my lovely assortment of okra varieties this year are shivering outside (45 F), and probably croaking. The weather is taking it's sweet time to warm up, and they are terribly unhappy without sun or warmth this last while. The aphids descended, smelling their angst and so they must now be sacrificed for the good of the happier plants. We won't be getting warmth until Tuesday (64F), then 72F Wednesday, they won't wait that long - and I can no longer bring them in with critters. If we were having a summer like last year they'd be fine, but such is the vagaries of the seasons. I'm quite sad to see my last home grown 'Burgundy' okra seeds perish! 😞

I did get nearly all the garden beds (and rows) shaped and formed, which was quite the job and I can only attribute its completion to my DD doing most of the initial shovelling. I finessed the details after. I'm actually amazed at how incapable I am of reliably digging a straight path, even with guides. Hard as I try, there is much veering. One more bed to go, where the corn will be, and all the bed preparation will be complete for planting day.

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ive had good luck with Pure crop 1 for aphids on things in the greenhouse. Outside where i dont care if the plant is a wee bit sticky; the best thing for me is Fermented plant extract, made from all manner of things off the property.

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I already feel gardening fatigue and it's not even June! :lol:

I feel your pain Heirloomgal! Moving trays of tomatoes and peppers from the house, to the sun, to the shade, and then back again is exhausting and time consuming. Out of desperation I am trying something new. I put a whole bunch of the trays in the back of our pick-up truck, so I can drive it out to the sun and then park it in the carport during the hottest part of the day. It's not a perfect solution, but it is giving me a break from shuttling trays of seedlings all over the yard.

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_130605742.jpg
    IMG_20230518_130605742.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 41

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ive had good luck with Pure crop 1 for aphids on things in the greenhouse. Outside where i dont care if the plant is a wee bit sticky; the best thing for me is Fermented plant extract, made from all manner of things off the property.

Fermented plant extract, what is that?

I've been using neem oil mixed with castille soap and water in a spray bottle for greenhouse aphids - which I never get. Works okay, but the problem is sourced with a bad soil mix I used. Since gardening went kaboom these last years everything is changing, and the bale of Pro-Mix I usually use changed their mix - they've now added some fertility. Argh. So, this pushed weak watery growth in the seedlings. I have to wait for the cell pressure to decrease now, since I've transplanted again out of that mix. Spraying in the meantime is all I can do.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fermented plant extract - my version, the scientist tell it differently.
Walk over the property to become familiar with your local inputs. These include any clovers, any young non woody plants, yarrow etc.
The next day, In the early morning pre sun take a clipper and a 5 gallon bucket around to each of your inputs and cut a good handful of the upper growth shoots and toss them in the bucket. Your goal is to end up with 3/4 of a gallon of “Bruised” plant matter; think sour kraut With sugar rather than salt. Typically i’ll have 20 or more items in each batch.
Add 2 cups of sugar and a cup of black strap molasses to the bruised material; and bruise it some more! Like kraut, you’ll know when to pour the contents into a glass gallon jar. I will add a little water if the plant matter is not submerged. A small weight helps.
Saran wrap over the mouth with a rubber band around the mouth. One small needle prick in the cover, to vent.
after a couple days bubbles appear once fermentation is complete strain of the liquid. It keeps from season to season refrigerated.
ive used it as a foliar feed, and mostly for an insecticide. Dilute 10-1 and spray 2-3 times in a week IF necessary.

Net searches are good, however a lot of this is not original material once you read a few, hence; my version!

Last edited:

Latest posts