After Death

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 3 wether lambs already sold when they reach slaughter weight. We sell them for $8 a pound, hanging weight. We could actually make money on lambs, if we had MORE EWES!!! obviously I need more sheep!
Bay, last Dec. I purchased 2 Soay ( primitive small sheep ) 11 month old , very plump lambs from a wanna be farmer who got overwelmed with sheep numbers. I paid $90 for both of them. I butchered the lambs that dressed out a total of 57 lbs of cut and wraped meat. Works out to $1.58 per pound. In today's economy the best type of sheep with the best hope to make a profit are the hair sheep Dorper and/ or the wool breed ( if one sheers their sheep themselves ) Suffolk, followed by the standard size Southdown. The other sheep breed owners are operating on a wish and a prayer.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Directly? Almost nothing. He is starting to eat more hay, and has discovered Eva's tasty feed - but doesn't eat much.
Through Eva though? It's hard to guess what part of the increase in her feed/hay is directly related to the calf and what part is just the natural increase caused by her growing. The A.I. was $100. Vaccs. and castrating was cheap - $50 if I remember right.
I don't know what the butcher will charge. My other option is to raise him to a good size and sell, then use that money to buy hay for next winter.
You have to assign the costs of breeding the cow, her feed and maintenance costs ( including a portion of land/ building costs that the cow is occupying) , and associated Vet. Bills, your labor, power and all other costs during pregnancy. Then add in all other costs involved to the calf to reach freezer camp to reach the true cost of the edible meat. Bookeeping 101 because I have to prove to the IRS true operating costs and deduct that from sales to show profit or loss in an event of an audit.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just the boy pets.. you know roosters, steers....
smile.gif

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wife's dog is male... nope, won't be visiting.

I can't believe such sexist behavior and prejudice is allowed on this site. I'm appalled. Yes, truly appalled!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since she's a pet - and he is too - I don't have to prove to anyone what I've spend or why. Guess that's just the happy side of doing this because I enjoy it and not because I have to. :)
Pet or otherwise, everyone should know what their " free " or almost free animal products actually cost to raise them so that they know what their personal bank balance is at the end of the year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm Sorry, not with you there. It's a hobby. $$$ is not a consideration unless you are not paying your bills.

Now you need to be with me about the rampant sexual bigotry going on. The double standard to kill males. This needs to be discussed and brought to national awareness.......