Ahead of schedule

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Ok Jackb, we always see your successes. Do you ever have any failures? Life is just not fair.:/ Those tomatoes look like they belong in a magazine photo shoot.

Mary
Mary,

Eggplant and strawberries are my nemesis in the greenhouse. I can grow them, but they attract spider mites that I just will not deal with, so I avoid growing them. Tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers are easy to grow, so I kind of stick with them. The hardest part of growing, for me, was when, and how much to water. Once I got past that, the rest was easy. :/
Jack B.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the lemons are just about ready also, so Santa can have lemonade with his tomato. :p

lemon1.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh they do look just FABULOUS! My mouth is watering as I'm already missing having fresh tomatoes. We had to call all the rest and I just finished our last one I ripened in the house last week.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had one for dinner with sliced cucumber, and it was excellent. Recently I found a jug of molasses in the pantry, and I recalled having read several years ago that molasses was the "secret ingredient" many liquid nutrients. I researched the nutritional value of molasses, and sure enough it contains minerals that will certainly benefit plants. To use it I boiled 12 ounces of water in the microwave and mixed two teaspoons of molasses into the hot water to form a concentrate. When I watered I added 100 ml of the molasses concentrate to the nutrients. It certainly made a big difference in the taste of the tomatoes. And, molasses is not all that expensive. Below is the link:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5573/2

Jack B.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for that information, I've bookmarked it for when I have a tomato season again! lol

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jackb said:
We had one for dinner with sliced cucumber, and it was excellent. Recently I found a jug of molasses in the pantry, and I recalled having read several years ago that molasses was the "secret ingredient" many liquid nutrients. I researched the nutritional value of molasses, and sure enough it contains minerals that will certainly benefit plants. To use it I boiled 12 ounces of water in the microwave and mixed two teaspoons of molasses into the hot water to form a concentrate. When I watered I added 100 ml of the molasses concentrate to the nutrients. It certainly made a big difference in the taste of the tomatoes. And, molasses is not all that expensive. Below is the link:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5573/2

Jack B.
That made me hungry just reading it. I just order a greenhouse from Habor Freight today so I am excited to try tomatoes and cucumber as soon as I can. I will be getting a thermometer that records high and low temps. I almost went into the hydroponics store last night but was too tired from shopping in the wrong shoes.

Do you heat your greenhouse?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your greenhouse! Regarding heat; yes I do heat it using a small electric 1500 watt heater. I have also used the small oil filled electric radiator type heaters. I close the greenhouse for the winter, but do use the heater to extend the season. Generally I keep the thermostat set about 45 degrees and use the greenhouse from mid March to mid November.

Jack B.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have 2 heavy double paned sliding glass doors from when we replace ours a couple of years ago. I am wondering if I built a raised bed inside the greenhouse using one of the doors (super heavy) what kind of temps I could have in the cold months? I have a book on year round gardening and it in she claims that if you use two types of covers together that you can raise your zone by 2 without an external heat source. If I wear layers I could probably stay outside and fiddle with it all the time. LOL.

Latest posts