ahhhhh, the sweet smell....

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
....of peach butter. Couldn't help it and had to have a taste already. DD couldn't resist and ate a bowl already. I'm wondering if it will even make it to the jars.

This was made from the peaches from the free trees next door. The peaches weren't the greatest, clingstone and hard to peel even with the hot water/ice. But managed to get enough to make one crockpot full.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know the feeling! I made some french vanilla peach sauce... AWESOME on ice cream!!!!!!! :p

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds good ShowMe !!

Has anyone ever made peach jam before?, i haven't but was thinking to try to make some, i made apricot jam not too long ago, it was so good, i have it in a jar that i'll be placing in the storage room, i might make some more apricot jam but i believe the season for them is about done though.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yummmmmy on the peach sauce. May have to ferry across into Illinois for more peaches and give that a try.

I've made peach jam for the past couple of years. We, I really mean I, go thru it fast in this house. My first attempt a couple of years ago was better than last years for consistency, but flavor was just as good. Last year the fruit rose to the top of the jar. I'm not sure what I did different. This year someone mentioned peach butter so I thought I would give it a try.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Sounds good ShowMe !!

Has anyone ever made peach jam before?, i haven't but was thinking to try to make some, i made apricot jam not too long ago, it was so good, i have it in a jar that i'll be placing in the storage room, i might make some more apricot jam but i believe the season for them is about done though.
I made peach jam and also spiced peach jam this year. I bought myself a juice machine and have been canning fruit juice. With the apricots and peaches, I used the leftover pulp to make jam. It didn't need to cook as long because you don't have to boil it to reduce the liquid. It is more like a spread or fruit butter because there are no chunks. Both recipes, I used did not use pectin.

For the spices I used powdered and added to the jam instead of whole ones in a bag.
Spiced Peach Jam
2 cups of crushed, peeled peaches
2 tablespoons of water
1-1/2 cups of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon of whole allspice
1/4 cinnamon stick
Combine crushed peaches and water, cook gently for 10 minutes. Add sugar and slowly bring to boiling, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Add whole cloves, all spice and cinnamon stick, tied in a cheesecloth bag to jam during cooking; remove just before pouring jam into jars. Cook rapidly until thick, about 15 minutes; stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Pour hot into hot sterilized jars and seal.

this is the website where I got the peach recipe from. They have lots of recipes.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/jam_without_pectin.html

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:frow Hey J. How are ya? Hope all is well! Good to see ya again.

Gardens going the best they can here, how 'bout yers.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ShowMe31 said:
:frow Hey J. How are ya? Hope all is well! Good to see ya again.

Gardens going the best they can here, how 'bout yers.
Hello! Im doing pretty great, thanks for asking. How are you doing?

My garden was horrible this year. Got a couple dozen peppers, about the same amount of tomatoes and probably the same amount of squash! One good crop of beans and that was it.... I had 16 rows that failed to germinate completely. The fruit crops are being iffy this year, but I just picked probably 60 or so plums and have plenty more on the tree, and our golden delicious apple tree is loaded this year.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sorry your garden was so bad this year. Mine actually did better last year, when everyone else was complaining about how bad theirs was here. We are totally redoing the gardening area. So maybe better next year.

I did a mid summer replant, there's pics on here somewhere. Hubs built me some raised beds so I replanted tomatoes, corn, zuchinni and cukes. My eggplant did really good, of course we don't like it so I've been giving away tons of it.

I love love love plums. You are so lucky. Our plum tree is dead so we'll need to try and get it replaced next year. The rest of our fruit trees did ok considering they are not very old. I can't even remember what type of apple trees we have, but one has lots of little apples on it, but looks like it needs to be treated for rust. I'm hoping to get to that this weekend.

Latest posts