All the Horse Manure We Want!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our soil is called white sugar sand. It's white like sugar and it's sand. Think beach sand without the ocean. The sun comes out and it's dust. NO humus. None.

There is a horse event center a few miles form us, so I called. YES! We can have all we want! YAY!

This morning we took our truck and trailer, our neighbor took his truck and trailer, and we got loaded up. It is nice stuff! It's mixed with wood shavings and hay. As it was scooped up, steam rose, it was hot. We were tickled to death!

Robert helped us unload, then we went to his house and helped him unload. We will definitely go back for more. This ought to really help. We still have a long way to go, but we'll get it done. So excited!

Our DD, the "undirty" child of mine, even came over and scooped some poop. She knows what it means to get this horse manure and wanted to help.

We have things to do this week, but I can't wait until we can go back for more!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope @Nyboy they do not poop different. Just not enough fast enough to help the sandy soils. Bay is in a hurry to get some garden worthy soil. ;)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Bay, I can send you some clay!
Strange but true that the same thing that improves sand also improves clay soil.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
great find. Good luck building sand up.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I wonder how long it will take to build up your soil. I would imagine that by spring it will already be better than how it is now.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes I have 3 horses and a mule. But their poop is needed right where they are. We move the round bales each time we get one, they eat and poop. The poop settles the dust. Dung beetles spread it out so it doesn't form dried out hard horse poop balls. LOL

Tomorrow we go back to old place for (we hope) the last load.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
JMHO, swallow your pride, next spring use some 19-19-19 with lime to give the soil a head start. By bedding the plants with straw, it will give plants a head start.

Latest posts