All the Horse Manure We Want!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bale what? Straw, corn stalks? Both of those are used for bedding or in dairy feed to add fiber.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have looked for those rotting bales, but everything around here is so darn well cared for! Lots of agriculture, beautiful hay fields, cattle, fruit orchards, crops. Greenhouses and lots of bedding plants and tree/shrub nurseries. Tyler is a huge rose growing area.

@murphysranch dung beetles, like what's out. there slurping up dung. LOL Been a long time since I watched Indiana Jones, don't remember dung beetles.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since the first post, my husband had open heart surgery several days later. The horse event center had events every weekend, so we couldn't make more trips anyway. But my husband was released last week by his surgeon and he and the neighbor, Robert, made multiple trips.......and guess what? We borrowed a DUMP TRAILER!!!! Yup! A dump trailer. It is awesome. I was babysitting our sick grand daughter, so the guys shuttled back and forth, hauling poop. We got two loads and Robert got one. The dump trailer holds 8 yards and dumps it out. No more shoveling. I used the tractor to scoop it up and put it where we wanted it. Robert took the tractor this week and moved his horse poop around. We are all tickled to death.

This afternoon, we are going back for more. We are going to dump it in the pig pen/garden and let the pigs root it in all winter. We have the corner posts set and the gate hung, almost ready to roll out the wire. My husband can back the trailer in the open space and let 'er dump! I have pictures, but I am on the new computer and don't know how to do anything on it yet. The horse event center has a HUGE amount, and they are happy for us to come get it. We figure on covering as much of this place with it as we can. YAY for the DUMP TRAILER!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard that dung beetles are a sign of a healthy pasture.
And that using chemical wormers are the primary reason we don't see many.
I can't say for sure if either of those are true.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all of that horse manure ... there must be a pony there somewhere ! :thumbsup Bay I always lay 6 +/- inches layer of horse manure , disc /dig it in , another 6 +/-" disc it in, then another 6 +/- " before I call it good for the first season for a new garden, orchard area, or pasture ... repeat as often as you can. Then watch the area turn DARK GREEN and PRODUCE. With your sandy soil the more manure, the merrior. :weee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters, we have dung beetles here and they spread the horse poop and break it down. Very few of those dried hard "road apples". I worm my horses in the winter after a hard frost with ivermectrin, again in the middle of winter and in the spring, so as not to kill off the dung beetles.

@ninnymary as soon as i can figure out how to post pics on this new computer, i will! It is windows 10 and my old computer is windows 7.

@bobm we dumped 2 loads in the garden today. I want to pile it in there.

Today we got 2 loads. They have an event this weekend and we will go back on Tuesday, the lady said all the bins will be full.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
How big are the loads ? How much of an area does a load cover at 6" deep ? I hear tell that you have a brag post on a tractor and equipment, so no excuse to hitch it up and spread out the loads and rototill it all into the soil over and over again.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dump trailer is 6'x10' and about 3' high. Sure beats the heck out of the 18' flatbed and back of the truck, and scooping it out with the shovel. We are loving this back up and DUMP! And yes, we are the proud owners of Marigold, our 2320 Kubota tractor, complete with front end loader, box blade, bush hog, disc and forks. Marigold has been a life saver for us! We are going to dump lots of the horse manure in the pig/garden and disc it in. I bet by golly, next spring we can have a garden that will grow.

Latest posts