All the Horse Manure We Want!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I am already planning that very thing. After I cover the area with the horse poop, I am going to find some wood chips for mulch. I want wood chips by the dump truck load. All that decomposing poop, hay, pine shavings, topped with wood chips is going to need a lot of nitrogen to break it down.

Straw? Hard to find here.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually what you call hay is same as straw up here-nutritionally that is.

IF all you want to do is break down the wood chips, urea and 28% will do a great job-better than 19-19-19.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sand, go on road trip to Bay's with semi trailer..... Take your clay as she can use that.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sandy, clay loam is best soil on earth. I'm with you on pure clay-wet knarly crap. Clay holds nutrients and water. Sand allows soil to percolate and breathe

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, folks bale empty fields into round bales and then stack them up along the tree line to rot. They just want to keep the field open - but aren't growing anything in them (as far as I can tell). Do they do that near you? I bet you could get some of those roting round bales and just un-roll them over the sand. They should rot in nicely by Spring.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, why don't they use them or sell them? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through just for that. Subsidies?

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
No idea. They're not very carefully baled. Just cut and raked, often the same day - then rolled. For several seasons I tried to find out who to contact about buying some, but never had any luck. Sometimes it looks like they're building a wall at the tree line and I suspected for a while that they were making a "fence/gate" for the deer to come through in the fall......
Most likely, they're carting some of it off to feed some beef cattle somewhere and the rest just rots.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No idea. They're not very carefully baled. Just cut and raked, often the same day - then rolled. For several seasons I tried to find out who to contact about buying some, but never had any luck. Sometimes it looks like they're building a wall at the tree line and I suspected for a while that they were making a "fence/gate" for the deer to come through in the fall......
Most likely, they're carting some of it off to feed some beef cattle somewhere and the rest just rots.
Hope one day you get lucky and see the farmer to enquire.

Latest posts