Almost Took Them To The Pound

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
After work last night I let my dogs out into my fenced backyard. When I heard lots of barking I looked out a window to see my dogs playing. One had a stick and was runing around, the others chasing her trying to get the stick. A game they play often with balls and toys. As I was watching them it dawned on me, the stick was my potted lemon tree. The lemon tree was in a pot on my patio, it was flowering and had 5 lemons I was hopping would ripen.Bad dogs!!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:barnie I understand your pain. My DH's dog did so much damage his 1st and 2nd year. Thankfully he I learning (with a few lapses, like digging up a new Blue Pearl Jacobs Ladder and established Blue Ripples Hosta!) I hope they are quick learners and figure out the sticks in pots ARE not TOYS.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My dog likes to dig for ground moles.... :( :barnie :hit no matter where they are. Last year she dug up the border around my gazebo :th :rant

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great story Nyboy. That one made my day.

Tony

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a shame. Lemons in NY? There's an accomplishment! Funny how our four legged friends can wreak havoc and be blissful of it all.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
haha, bad dogs! I'm sure they rolled their eyes when you threatened them with the pound.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our Lucy is about 18 months now and is at that stage too. My problem with her is that she wants to chew on everything. Her favorite chew toy is the corner of the garage. I'd just finished painting the garage and all the trim a couple of months ago and I came home from work one day and saw she'd be gnawing on the trim boards at the corner. I decided then and there I was going to find her and pull out all her teeth but Teresa intervened and saved her. Instead I found a piece of L-shaped aluminum and I cut it down to fit and covered all the corners of the garage and painted them to match the trim. It's been up now for several weeks without any gnawing so maybe, just maybe that works. The other thing is we give her chew toys which work except that our neighbor's dog comes up and takes them home with her leaving poor Lucy with nothing to do but find the backdoor steps to chew on. I chased her down and threatened to kick out all of her teeth but once again Teresa comes to her rescue. Instead she sent me into the woods to find a hickory sapling about an inch in diameter and bring it back. I cut it up into 8-inch sections leaving the bark on and gave her two or three pieces to chew on which she absolutely loves. So far it seems that is working. Next I've got to find a way to keep her from digging these giant holes out in the middle of the yard that I seem to stumble into right at dusk.

Someone tell me again, why do we keep dogs??? :rolleyes:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep I was very proud of my NY lemons, for the most part they are good dogs. Just when they chew something they shouldn't its always something very important to me. Lemon tree now looks like the charlie brown christmas tree!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: I had a Lab pup that chewed through the back door into the garage and chewed up 20 #50 pound bags of pelleted horse feed! (among his other escapades) :lol: Sorry about your lemon tree-I hope it survives! Instead of the pound, work 'em over with rolled up newspaper. You don't even have to hit them with it, just smack your hand and tell them bad dog in a very disappointed tone.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
After work last night I let my dogs out into my fenced backyard. When I heard lots of barking I looked out a window to see my dogs playing. One had a stick and was runing around, the others chasing her trying to get the stick. A game they play often with balls and toys. As I was watching them it dawned on me, the stick was my potted lemon tree. The lemon tree was in a pot on my patio, it was flowering and had 5 lemons I was hopping would ripen.Bad dogs!!!
I know the feeling :hugs:lol:

Latest posts