Amaryllis-stien the monster

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, flower stalks are definitely fatter. just was hard to see from your pic what that bit o' green was. :)

give it water once in a while, light, fertilizer.

if it gets enough light it will have enough energy to create a flower stalk for the next year. i don't repot mine every season or put them outside. i'm not sure what i'm getting this spring. most of the time i have at least the larger ones that will flower. i also have a few dozen smaller ones.

oh, and yes, from your first post, they are large plants. the leaves sprawl to the sides a foot and a half to two feet. the flower stalk is about the same tall. and it is hollow. two to four flowers. i'm not sure how much this varies by variety.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was given to me by client Cane so easy doesnt even have soil or pot
upload_2018-1-15_15-0-29.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
:( This thing is just gonna grow leaves every other year.....

why? mine grow every year, not every other year. i'm confused... :) i have had some years where they don't have as many flowers as the next year, but my largest plant flowers every year i've had it (for 10 or more years now).

most bulb plants need energy from the previous year to flower the next year, but if you are growing leaves next year it would then also flower the following year.

just like tulips, daffodils, etc. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
For other bulb plants, bone meal is recommended to help make big blooms. Maybe you could add a little bone meal when you plant it outside.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
why? mine grow every year, not every other year. i'm confused... :) i have had some years where they don't have as many flowers as the next year, but my largest plant flowers every year i've had it (for 10 or more years now).

most bulb plants need energy from the previous year to flower the next year, but if you are growing leaves next year it would then also flower the following year.

just like tulips, daffodils, etc. :)

Well, because the first year it started as a dried up bulb and grew leaves. Then was a dried up husk of a bulb for a year and did nothing. Then the 3rd year it's growing leaves again.
Now that I know it's not REALLY dead, I'll try to give it some love and see what happens NEXT year.
Maybe 4 years is the secret to getting a bloom :p

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
how much light does it get? if the christmas cactus can bloom there i think it is a good chance it will do ok too. :) just remember to water it when you water the cactus. except for in the fall/winter when you want it to go dormant. then the following spring about a month before you want it to flower start watering it again and after the leaves start growing give it a little fertilizer. if the potting soil is very poor repot it in the spring before you start watering it (or to make it less of a dusty mess, soak it for a few hours, drain and then repot).

the roots are rather large and amusing. :) i think it likes to crowd itself somewhat. i get a lot of side shoots even from young bulbs.

Latest posts