Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane I find most if given a little attention get 2 flower stems
upload_2018-1-16_8-30-49.png

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, well, well..... it's Lazarus the amaryllis!!
Sometime around MAY of 2016 my non-blooming monster leaf growing plant turned brown and died.
It was sitting behind the BLOOMING Christmas Cactus by that time and got forgotten.. and never watered... and no decent sun back in the corner of the file cabinet...
Just a moment ago I was watering the Christmas cactus (who just finished blooming AGAIN) and saw this dead, empty husk back in the corner. I pulled it out to toss it and low and behold there is a SPROUT!!!!
Gave it some water and stuffed it back in the corner!
View attachment 23970
You accidentally treated your amaryllis just as you should. Next time fertilize after bloom, allow the green to grow, put outdoors for the summer, bring in. Try to kill again with non watering, and the same magic will appear after you water again.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My amaryllis is sleepy. I bought it last year, didn't bloom but grew nice foilage, but I didn't give up on it. I stuck it in the garden bed in June and I even remembered to dig it up in October. I dutefully knocked off the dirt, stuck it back in it's pot without soil, pot on its side on a dark and dry shelf (formerly a growing shelf) where I could find it and let it go dorment for several months. I pulled it out about a month ago. The original plant had grown a corm, and was still green, so I knew that I didn't kill it. The bulb and corm have been in a pot on the kitchen counter for a good month and both have barely grown an inch. They are still alive, but very disappointing.
Any advice for an amaryllis pro?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you

i wait until another 6 weeks before watering mine. will perk up and grow better when there is more ambient light and warmth. that's just me and how i've been doing it.

it may be too cool (how warm is it in that area?). may just be putting roots out and getting ready to grow.

bulbs often start their roots the previous fall for the next growing season.

considering it's starting over from bare roots... and yes, i know they can grow from the bulb without roots even, but i've not done that and have no experience at all with that method. just looks too wrong to me... :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My amaryllis is sleepy. I bought it last year, didn't bloom but grew nice foilage, but I didn't give up on it. I stuck it in the garden bed in June and I even remembered to dig it up in October. I dutefully knocked off the dirt, stuck it back in it's pot without soil, pot on its side on a dark and dry shelf (formerly a growing shelf) where I could find it and let it go dorment for several months. I pulled it out about a month ago. The original plant had grown a corm, and was still green, so I knew that I didn't kill it. The bulb and corm have been in a pot on the kitchen counter for a good month and both have barely grown an inch. They are still alive, but very disappointing.
Any advice for an amaryllis pro?
All of a sudden growth will happen. What do you mean by a corm? A small attached bulb?