Amazing!!!!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
At least your hubby shows some interest...mine points & asks "what are THOSE things??" (radishes, which he asked me to plant) & "which comes first, the cucumber or the pickle?" :lol: Good thing he's so cute...;)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Don't forget Nacho... I teach canning classes and we travel ;)
We might have to speak of pricing.... cos I haven't the foggiest notion on how to do canning!! LOL

i_am2bz said:
At least your hubby shows some interest...mine points & asks "what are THOSE things??" (radishes, which he asked me to plant) & "which comes first, the cucumber or the pickle?" Good thing he's so cute...
Oh he knows where some things come from. He does get in the dirt with me.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't feel bad at all. I regularly check on things. Its especially bad when something doesn't start out that strong, and starts to make a recovery. I'll make multiple trips out to "assess its progress". And when something I've never tried before comes up my wife knows immediately because she sees my "the new stuff he planted happy dance" going on. Usually involves some variation fist pumping and hip shaking with the occasional spin and air kick depending on the variety and how many come up. :weee

I can't complain at all, my wife loves to garden too, but she doesn't care if the tomatoes are better boys or mortgage lifters, so long as they are a good slicer she's happy. Same with the pepper varieties, she wants 4 colors (red, orange, yellow, green) but after that what variety within that color she could care less. So long as they produce.

Just wait till you really lose it and grow something like giant pumpkins and they grow and GROW and GROW!!! My soon as the nieces and nephews come over my daughter will take them down to the garden to show off the pumpkins. Doesn't seem to matter what time of the summer it is, soon as they appear the arguing already starts up over who's going to get which one in come the fall. I grow the pumpkins for family, and the giants are just a novelty for us too. Something to be said about carving a pumpkin with a chainsaw. :th

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared- I will look for the video on YouTube!! Got a real giggle out of your happy dance! I love growing those huge pumpkins. So far mine have only reached about 60-80 pounds. But, they are so big, we have to roll them out of the garden!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh boy if that video hits youtube it will be a viral sensation!

Speaking of giant pumpkins I tried a few different things this year. I started them earlier than I ever have and in the biggest peat pots I could buy at the local nursery trying to extend their growing season that much longer. I started them inside too then graduated them a cold frame when they started getting really expanding and the weather warmed up. I chose the peat pots to help avoid distrubing the roots when I planted them. Plus I cut the bottoms off a 2L bottle per plant and placed it as close to the plant as I can to fertilize easily and regularly. We'll see how this fairs. I've never used peat pots before but I think it might make a difference. They are already growing like gangbusters. Though it did make transplanting more difficult. We'll see if it pays off.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... we did put in a couple mounds of pumpkins. Not sure what variety they are tho, but I was assured that they were good to eat! My son LOOOOOOOOVES anything with pumpkin in it, and that was his choice to grow this year. :) Next year I think we're going to have to extend the garden that much more because Miss Bug will get her first garden spot next year. This year she has a pot of marigolds. :)

Hubs always knows when something new pops up because I always come rushing in and go "This popped up! HOORAY!!" Then we all take a trip out to the garden to stare at it for a while. :D

I do have a question tho.... (a couple actually)

What do onion sprouts look like? We planted onions and carrots in one of the beds and we have no idea what either looks like when they pop up!! LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
'qt', you know the ferny-looking foliage on the carrots at the supermarket? Well, first you will see some kind of very thin long leaves and then a tiny fern-like leaf will appear. After awhile, there will be more and more of the fern-like leaves. But first, there will be those 2 thin, strap-like seed-leaves that don't really look ferny at all.

An onion seedling will come up with one leaf. It will be bent and a rather odd-looking thing because the tip will still be trapped in the soil. After a few days, the tip will spring loose and the little thing will point straight up in the air. They are almost as skinny as dog hair - green, dog hair.

Steve

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Shew!! Okay... LOL

We were pulling what we thought was grass out of the beds, and one of them came up with the whole root and a giant seed looking thing on the bottom. It smelled like onion, it had a tiny swollen bit down bu the finger tip sized seed, but they've been popping up in ALL the beds, so I was pretty sure it was grass.

If that's the case I'm going to have to go out there and get ALL of that because it might be hard to tell after a while which is which.

The other thing doesn't stick in the ground... it has two "leaves" that poke straight up thru the ground and are very spikey and hard when the first pop up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the onion may have the seed case at the very tip of its little, hair-like leaf.

. . . once it can get that tip up out of the ground.

Like with baby animals, it is easy to sympathize with a seedling. They often have some trouble getting out from under some debris or they can't quite get the seed case off of their leaves. Only in the cartoons does a plant come up like a champagne cork out of a bottle.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Only in the cartoons does a plant come up like a champagne cork out of a bottle.
Geez thanks a lot for busting that wide open and ruining that belief! Whats next you going to tell me Diet Dr Pepper is a satisfying and tasty diet drink?! :lol: