Amazing!!!!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, I think I may have just amazed myself....

Hubs and I came into gardening late this year. It was part bad planning and part lack of money. We WANT to be more self sufficient, more green. We wanted to teach out kids about where food comes from, get them to put their hands in the soil and be proud of something they've done.

We put in a couple raised beds, tilled up some of the side yard, and put in MORE raised beds,planted some more fruit trees/bushes/vines, and decided to buy some non hybrid seed and a few books on seed saving and food preserving. (Tho nothing about canning... that comes next! LOL)

This past Saturday (5-21) we finally got everything in the ground. Some things I thought "man, these aren't ever gonna make it!" but we put them in the ground anyways. I mean, sometimes we don't have cold weather until almost Thanksgiving... so.. might as well try, right?

Yesterday I knew it was going to be a scorcher of a day (and today is going to be another!) and I was so busy that morning, that I didn't really have a choice but to use the sprinkler. I left it on for about 30-45 minutes for east half of the garden. Around 2 o'clock I was really able to go outside and spend a little time out there. To my surprise, 2 of the pumpkins had popped up! I ran inside to tell my husband and he came outside to check things out as well. He discovered that a couple of his watermelons had popped up as well! I was so excited! It was really hard to do ANY work after that because all I wanted to do was go outside and look at these tiny plants.

About an hour later Monk was coming home from school and I caught him and called him into the garden. He spied the leaves poking out of the ground on one of his pumpkin mounds and was so excited that he dropped his book bag! From there we spent a little more time in the garden and discovered that some of the beans were coming up as well.. and one of them had come all the way out and looked like a split bean with two tiny leaves sticking out! After that I probably spent a good half hour just sitting on the edges of the beds looking at the grounds within. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm thoroughly insane, but, I was so happy to see little green leaves popping up from the earth, I don't really care! :D

I'm so excited to see what the rest of this week brings! I'm sure that more plants will pop up and I will get even more excited. Our herbs and peppers are doing VERY well inside! (We planted red/green peppers outside and hot peppers inside. Hubs is the only one who likes hot peppers.. LOL) We have about 238596293865029 basil plants! I don't know that we will ever use all of it, but I have a lot of friends, and I'm sure they would love some fresh basil and I'm hoping that I can use some in some of the homemade pasta sauce that I'm planing on making and canning! (hopefully... LOL) Time will tell, but I will def be posting some pictures for all of you to see when everything starts coming up! :weee

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I LOVE your excitement, and share it with you! I get super excited too, and know all about the issue of having a hard time getting anything else done during the day! :) And just so you know, I'm not sure that part gets any better. :)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol:

Oh geez... don't tell me that! I'll never get anything done! :D

I went out just a little bit ago and some of our corn has popped up overnight, and our beans are ALL starting to pop their little spilt bean heads out of the ground!

:love :weee :love

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I do the same thing, nachoqtpie! When things start sprouting, I go out several times a day to look. :D

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Squash, and their relatives, are great for an ego boost, especially when it seems nothing is ever going to show.:)

The correct combo of moisture and soil warmth, and they can pop up in just a few days after planting..

I think every gardener needs a little sign, that all their hard work is going to pay off..:ya

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
I do the same thing, nachoqtpie! When things start sprouting, I go out several times a day to look. :D
Do you notice them change within the day?? I swear I turned my back an one of the beans sprouted up! LOL
I can't believe it happened so quickly!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh yes! I was complaining one morning in an email to vfem that my beans just would NOT sprout...I went out at lunch time & 3 had popped up since breakfast! (I guess they heard me complaining about them.) Sneaky little suckers! :lol:

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can dry your basil, in the oven or microwave. (if you don't have a dehydrator) The plants sprouting up is sooooo exciting and never gets old.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's great, nachoqtpie. :) I've found that half the battle to gardening is just getting the seeds in the ground. ;)

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not the only one who stares at my plants! Best of luck with your garden, Nacho!!!! Uh oh. . .I think I heard a seed sprout - you'd better run out there and check!!! Teehee :lol:

Latest posts