Amazing!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
Only in the cartoons does a plant come up like a champagne cork out of a bottle.
Geez thanks a lot for busting that wide open and ruining that belief! Whats next you going to tell me Diet Dr Pepper is a satisfying and tasty diet drink?! :lol:
:yuckyuck :gig

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
There's nothing like watching things pop up when you first start the garden. And there's nothing like watching your neighbors watch you when you start planting or expanding your garden like I did this year, they watched me add about 500 square feet to my gardens, after several weeks I notice they are also starting to watch the progress, and friends and co-workers all of a sudden are asking how the garden is doing, then start saying things like, (don't forget me when the tomatoes start coming in, I love garden tomatoes).

A co-worker came by the other day and the 3 kids ran to the coop and gathered the eggs and handed me the basket with big grins on their face, I asked them if they each wanted an egg and their faces lit up even more. Then they ran for the gardens, so I asked them if they wanted some really fresh lettuce, I didn't have to ask twice. The next day I found out that the little ones made their mom go to the store and buy them some tomato and other veggie plants to start their own garden.

There's also nothing like watching those little tomatoes and cucumbers start coming in also, that's when things get real exciting.
My tomatoes started coming in about 2 weeks ago and I can't stay away from the garden now. The cukes, zucchini, acorn squash, and green beans are also starting to show up, it gets more exciting every day. I'm stocking up on canning jars now! :D

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish everything was at a point where it was starting to get fruit. Our tomatoes were started from seed and sort of stunted by less than ideal growing conditions. (We tried... LOL)

I checked everything this morning before I left to go to the flea market. Unfortunately... none of our candles sold... but.. the place we went has only been open for a couple weeks, and the weather was threatening to be nasty. There wasn't really any change. :( I'm kinda getting worried about the corn tho.. only about half of the seed we put in has come up. :/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
I wish everything was at a point where it was starting to get fruit. Our tomatoes were started from seed and sort of stunted by less than ideal growing conditions. (We tried... LOL)

I checked everything this morning before I left to go to the flea market. Unfortunately... none of our candles sold... but.. the place we went has only been open for a couple weeks, and the weather was threatening to be nasty. There wasn't really any change. :( I'm kinda getting worried about the corn tho.. only about half of the seed we put in has come up. :/
My trick for corn is this... they have tough little shells when it comes to germination, so I soak my seed in warm clean water for 1-2 days before I plant them. A good soaking has given me about 90% or better germination when I plant corn now. This way they don't dry out easily in the soil.

If you are concerned about older seed and want to see how well it will germinate for you, I wrap some corn kernels in a moist paper towel and keep it moist for a number a days. I see how many out of those sprout and send out roots and I know how good they will germinate (1 out of 5 I just get new seed, 4 out of 5 and I plant). I even plant the ones that send out a little baby root because I know they are good to go and already started.

I still have a ton of tiny tomato plants myself, but I do have 5-6 that already have flowers and baby tomatoes on them. Once it gets good and hot they take off quickly though... so in our zone I'm not worried one bit. I even plant some tomatoes at the end of June for a fall harvest since we have a nice long season.

After all this rain this weekend, I think most of my plants are going to be thriving come the next week. I do have to transplant my peppers. I've noticed they ended up too close to my tomatoes and I'm worried about good air flow now.

Can't wait until I get to get my garlic out of the extra beds, and my onions will be ready in a week or 2.... then I'll plenty of space to move some plants and probably get in another round of late corn or beans. :D

So exciting watching this everyday... I have to do my morning garden walk with my coffee in hand and the chickens already fed so the roosters stop yelling at me they're hungry! lol

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well the seed was new. We just bought it and planted it within a few days of getting them. More started popping up... so... I guess all wasn't lost. :p We've had them in the ground for just over a week and we've been watering every every day or two when it seems they might need a drink. I'm not sure how much rain we got here this weekend, as I wasn't home for most of it! LOL I know we did get some tho.

I'll be over your way later this week vfem! I've got to go to Morrisville to pick up some new supplies for our candle company. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Well the seed was new. We just bought it and planted it within a few days of getting them. More started popping up... so... I guess all wasn't lost. :p We've had them in the ground for just over a week and we've been watering every every day or two when it seems they might need a drink. I'm not sure how much rain we got here this weekend, as I wasn't home for most of it! LOL I know we did get some tho.

I'll be over your way later this week vfem! I've got to go to Morrisville to pick up some new supplies for our candle company. :)
Too funny! Hubby works in Morriseville, which is nearly 45 minutes from here. You may want to stop by the "Garden Hut" in Fuquay. That's where I got all the cheap plants. Its not too far off of HWY 210 or HWY 42 depending on which way you come. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just realized, Tomorrow or Thursday I am heading down Hwy 40 to a Blueberry farm to pick up a few buckets of berries to jam. I want to say its near Duplin Co. Gotta find out the exact address and town from my mom.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Duplin Co. has a GREAT winery! (Duplin Wine) We get one called Scuppernong Blush. It's a sweet pink wine! It's my favorite! They also offer free wine tours and tastings. We're having a "girls night" there in a couple of weeks!

I will have to see if we can make a lil detour and stop by the Garden Hut. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Duplin Co. has a GREAT winery! (Duplin Wine) We get one called Scuppernong Blush. It's a sweet pink wine! It's my favorite! They also offer free wine tours and tastings. We're having a "girls night" there in a couple of weeks!

I will have to see if we can make a lil detour and stop by the Garden Hut. ;)
Ut oh... you wanna see something?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/71543999/nc-blush-wine-jelly-8-oz-jar

I make a blush wine jelly from the scuppernog Duplin Wine Co wine. Its so lovely and its a light flavor with a lot of sparkle. I love Duplin wine! We go buy a case around Christmas since we have so much company during the holiday. Booze goes fast around here! LOL

Latest posts