AMKuska's 2023 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The hots are tucked in their beds now. I was excited to see some of them already had a tiny bit of root development when I planted them from their long soak. I also like this little tiny greenhouse thing my mother in law gave me. They help keep the moisture in so I water less. There's a vent at the top if you think it's too moist so you don't end up with fungus.
DSC05397.JPG

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know that. My husband got them for me, along with the grow tent. :) I keep running in to peek at my peppers but of course, they have not popped yet. It's not even been 3 full days yet though and the earliest they could emerge is 4 days from now.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to a nursery owner on this week's Mid American Gardener, we can thank the pot industry for cheaper LED's. I have one LED pink gro light, like above.
I will be shopping around for some LED bulbs, hopefully some 48" tubes that I can mix with my HO T8's. I've been mostly happy with the T8 fixtures, but they run a little hot & the LEDs would improve the light spectrum.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We too are big jalapeno fans as they are a nice size and not too spicy, especially if you remove the seeds. The plant though is not particularly attractive. This year I grew out a couple of Heirloom Gals Charapitas, and those pepper plants were really beautiful. I would visit them each day, and just stare at them. They were about a foot tall, with a broad dense canopy of small shiny leaves; kind of reminded me of a small version of the dog party tree at the end of the book Go Dog, Go! (another personal favourite). The actual peppers are yellow and minuscule. When one finally ripened I just had to try it despite not tolerating hot peppers particularly well, figuring that it was so small-- how hot could it possibly be? Shortly afterward I found myself hopping around the garden talking to myself, saying 'whoa!' over and over again. Let's just say it's on the spicy side, with a really fruity flavour-- and worth growing just for its looks. Which make me think that it would be great to be able to grow a jalapeno plant with the curb appeal of a Charapita.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We too are big jalapeno fans as they are a nice size and not too spicy, especially if you remove the seeds. The plant though is not particularly attractive. This year I grew out a couple of Heirloom Gals Charapitas, and those pepper plants were really beautiful. I would visit them each day, and just stare at them. They were about a foot tall, with a broad dense canopy of small shiny leaves; kind of reminded me of a small version of the dog party tree at the end of the book Go Dog, Go! (another personal favourite). The actual peppers are yellow and minuscule. When one finally ripened I just had to try it despite not tolerating hot peppers particularly well, figuring that it was so small-- how hot could it possibly be? Shortly afterward I found myself hopping around the garden talking to myself, saying 'whoa!' over and over again. Let's just say it's on the spicy side, with a really fruity flavour-- and worth growing just for its looks. Which make me think that it would be great to be able to grow a jalapeno plant with the curb appeal of a Charapita.
That's one of my daughter's favorite books!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@heirloomgal you seem to know a lot about hots. One of the mistakes I made last year was not taking them off the heat pad the entire time they were growing to try and keep it warm enough for them. I know you are supposed to take them off while they're still young.

When is the best time to remove them? After they've all sprouted? After I pot them up? When they're a certain height?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal you seem to know a lot about hots. One of the mistakes I made last year was not taking them off the heat pad the entire time they were growing to try and keep it warm enough for them. I know you are supposed to take them off while they're still young.

When is the best time to remove them? After they've all sprouted? After I pot them up? When they're a certain height?
I take them off as soon as the cotyledon leaves turn nice and green, then under the lights they go. If there is multiple seeds in a single pot I wait until 3/4 of them have cotyledon leaves, and I let any stragglers finish germinating under the warmth of the lights.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on them and pop them under the lights as soon as the majority are up. The poblanos have followed the Trinidad Scorpions, so I imagine the others will be up pretty soon too.

Latest posts