AMKuska's 2023 Garden

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@heirloomgirl, how close are your lights to the seedlings?
I have to keep MINE on a heat mat downstairs bc it's cave temperature in my basement.
I have NO good windows to grow on the first floor, and the 2nd floor is chilly in the winter.
Plus...the cats...who rip up dirt, just for fun.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to keep MINE on a heat mat downstairs bc it's cave temperature in my basement.
I have NO good windows to grow on the first floor, and the 2nd floor is chilly in the winter.
Mine are in a chilly basement too. They are sitting right next to the boiler that throws a little bit of heat and also next to an exterior door, so the seedlings get a shot of cool air each time the door opens. The plants don't seem to mind growing slow and cold like this, not even the peppers.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pretty close, probably about 2 inches. I have some decent windows for peppers @ducks4you , but I honestly don't think even a great window can beat good grow lights when it comes down to it.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine are in a chilly basement too. They are sitting right next to the boiler that throws a little bit of heat and also next to an exterior door, so the seedlings get a shot of cool air each time the door opens. The plants don't seem to mind growing slow and cold like this, not even the peppers.
Several years ago a helpful local greenhouse operator told me 'grow 'em cool and slow'. I went sorta mute for a sec, because at that moment, at home, I had a big plastic greenhouse propped right in front of a sunny south window, with sweat pouring down the insides from the trapped heat. I slinked my way home....and fixed things. A-whoops!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty close, probably about 2 inches. I have some decent windows for peppers @ducks4you , but I honestly don't think even a great window can beat good grow lights when it comes down to it.

me either, because with windows you have to keep turning things compared to having the light right overhead.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be moving them off the heat in just a few days! The Trinidad Scorpions are up and green as can be. The Pablanos and Bhut Jolokia are rooted and trying to get their greens up, but not quite. Their little stems are sticking out the ground in a funny little U shape as they try and pop out. The Apocolypse Scorpions have yet to grace us with their presence.

I'm so excited!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be moving them off the heat in just a few days! The Trinidad Scorpions are up and green as can be. The Pablanos and Bhut Jolokia are rooted and trying to get their greens up, but not quite. Their little stems are sticking out the ground in a funny little U shape as they try and pop out. The Apocolypse Scorpions have yet to grace us with their presence.

I'm so excited!
That is fantastic! Your excitement is clearly contagious, because I am supposed to be getting ready for the holidays but I found myself starting three kinds of hot pepper seeds instead. Lol

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is fantastic! Your excitement is clearly contagious, because I am supposed to be getting ready for the holidays but I found myself starting three kinds of hot pepper seeds instead. Lol
Woohoo!! What did you plant?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Woohoo!! What did you plant?
I planted Charapita, Piazinho, and Grandpa's Siberian Home peppers. Last year I started most of my peppers in February, which was far too late for the hot peppers and way too early for the sweet peppers. Hopefully this head start will help the hot ones to thrive. I also started some Rainbow Treasure Strawberry seeds. Strawberries never seem do well for me, but perhaps this new 'edible ornamental' cultivar will produce fruit.

Latest posts