Another mystery plant (agave family?)

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My hubby always brings me home random plants that he finds. About a year ago he brought home this plant. I am pretty sure it is in the agave family but that is all I know. The plant really doen't grow that fast but then again it only gets about 4 hours of sunlight. I don't have a picture of it in bloom but the blooms look just like aloe.
Side view
100_3228.jpg

Top view
100_3229.jpg

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know what it is but it sure looks wicked from the side view :bee

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
newchickmom09 said:
My hubby always brings me home random plants that he finds. About a year ago he brought home this plant. I am pretty sure it is in the agave family but that is all I know. The plant really doen't grow that fast but then again it only gets about 4 hours of sunlight. I don't have a picture of it in bloom but the blooms look just like aloe.
Side view
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120/kicks_lol/100_3228.jpg
Top view
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120/kicks_lol/100_3229.jpg
I'm about 99% certain you're Right in classing it as an agave but there are so many thousands of crosses and cultivars of them in the nursery trade these days I wouldn't even guess at the variety.

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sonjab314~
It does look like it is sharp but the only sharp part is the tips. I love it, I think it is such a crazy looking plant.

hoodat~
That is what I was afraid of. :/ Everyone asks what is that and I tell them agave. I am pretty sure 99% it is agave I couldn't imagine it being anything other then that.

Non the less it is a neat looking plant.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I seem to remember seeing one like that only bigger. It was about two feet tall and they called it a zebra agave. I'd have to see the two together to be sure.

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beavis said:
Its a common ALoe sp. , popular house plant entitled: Aloe variegata

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloe_variegata

I love Aloes, I had over 50 species at my old house in Rancho Penasquitos, California.
I think you got it! It is also called Tiger Aloe from reading about it.

I would have never guessed it was just a pretty aloe. :lol:

My BIL just gave me three small regular aloe plants since I was saying I wanted some aloe. :lol:

You can use it just like regualr aloe then right? The only difference is that this one is variegated.

Thanks for everyones help. :thumbsup

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was going to say, that is much prettier then any aloe I had ever had! :D

Latest posts