Any One in the North Have Peach Trees?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think every other year success is that unusual for fruit trees. The only time we have had no fruit is when we have a early warming and a late frost killing the young fruit.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
When the trees have a poor crop year, try to give them a heavy pruneing that winter ...do the recommended spraying and the following year will produce a nice crop.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I lost my old peach tree, but when found it that was about 30 yo, I didn't cry. I had the foresight to buy and plant a young one a year before. In 2014 we got no fruit. We had a stretch of nearly -20 degrees F winter weather and it killed the buds on that tree, and on all of my apple trees, but, surprisingly NOT my young Bartlett pear. There were other problems, but I got about a dozen pears from that.
A local lost his entire small orchard from last winter and I figured out why I DIDN'T. My fruit trees have some protection bc they are southeast of farm building and due east and northeast of 30 ft. pine trees. The young peach and Bartlett pear are almost understory trees, and have a lot of protection.
PROTECTION, I think, is the key. If you plant your fruit trees due west, so that the winter can attack them, you'll lose them. I also looked for trees one zone north of mine, which we locals are rethinking is now Really zone 5. If you can buy local fruit trees from a nursery that carries trees bred for Canada, you might be able to keep them alive.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Also, find out everything you need to know about pruning. Everybody I've spoken to says that when you don't prune, you wear out your tree. I even over pruned my 5 concord (I think) grapes vines one year, cut the wrong branches and had nearly NO fruit that year, but the vines came back vigorously, and remain healthy. (They are IDK How old.) This, I have discovered is the ONLY mistake you are likely to make, is accidentally pruning off next year's fruit! The tree doesn't really care.
Here's the basic advice I got:
BASIC pruning advice
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20053952,00.html
Specific to Peach Trees
http://www.wikihow.com/Prune-a-Peach-Tree

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am very pleased with Reliance from Miller Nurseries. Nice healthy tree. Got a ton of fruit summer before last- and not a one this past summer. No one around here had a very good fruit year...hoping for next year.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never sprayed. Nor, have I ever had any problem. It is my understanding that they can get fire blight- but there really is nothing to do to prevent that. The peaches that came off that tree, were absolute perfection! I was excited to have them- but I didn't expect them to look so beautiful on the tree. They were like ornaments. Just lovely!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are the same zone as you. We have had little to no luck with the peach trees we tried. It was a start from some small white peaches my in-laws grew. Their trees would nearly break with fruit. Too much to eat, process or give away! They never sprayed. Lots of fruit drop at end of season. When Son bought the house he hated the mess and cut them down. Sorry I have no name but a VERY old variety. I think our lot soil (a.k.a. former landfill with clay cap) may be part of the problem. :(

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
@lesa Miller is now part of Stark Bros, they have 10% off till 5/30 code 13mn0002. Their write up on Reliance looks great for the north, going to order 2 trees from them.

Latest posts