Any One in the North Have Peach Trees?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since planting it 5 years ago, I finally had a crop of peaches from my tree this last summer. It is called Northern Gold, and was grown especially for the colder zones. The fruit was quite small, and took forever to ripen, but tasted good. Not a nice juicy peach, like the ones we get from the Okanagan, unfortunately.

Ideally in cooler zones, you want to grow peach trees under a roof, or overhang at the side of the house, or garage. I made the mistake of simply planting it out in the open, although it is the hottest area on my property. Espalier training the tree, would be a really good way to do it, along side a building.

I try to spray my tree's (lime/sulphur) in January, but you can't spray if rain is expected withing 24 hours, or if temps are below freezing, so it's a bit tricky finding the perfect time. Usually if it's clear and sunny, its to darn cold. Spraying regularly the past few years, has really helped my older heritage fruit trees, which were largely ignored by the previous owner.

Here is a list of fruit trees, the BC Gov't has for our colder climes.
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/treefrt/homegdn/hardyfruit.htm

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay! I think you will love the Reliance! The only I love more than my peach tree- is my plum! I could just stand at the tree, and eat about a hundred of those yummies! Didn't know Stark and Miller were combined...could have sworn I just got a catalog from Miller. Will check tomorrow.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a dead Reliance. It survived the first winter, but last winter was extreme with many below zero mornings, maxing out at 29 below.
I'd like to try again. I know several people around here who have had success with Reliance.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have two, Nyboy. But, I am pretty sure that is not necessary. Didn't you say you ordered more than one?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes but same variety, I know some fruits need a different variety for pollination. I did plant a peach ths summer it was all twisted I thought it looked cool, dont know variety or if it will live thought winter.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
NYboy... for something different and very artsy and very unique ... I just received the Raintree Nursery catalog . On their front cover is a photo of a tree with " Tree of 40 Fruit ". Sam VAn Aken is a professor of Art at Syracuse University and bud grafts 40 varieties of fruit onto Shiro Japanese plum tree on hardy plum rootstock he then grafts different cultivars of plums which are generally the more vigorous on the bottom of the tree and the peaches and apricots which are less vigorous towards the top, since trees express apica dominance meaning the top buds and branches grow slower. He has placed these "Tree of 40 Fruit " in musiums, community centers and private art collections in Mass., NY, NJ, Ar., and Cal. If interested you can contact him at samvanaken.com . To get a catalog with the front page photo and more information on this tree , www.raintreenursery.com :ep

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Location is SOOOOO important. Like I said, protect your peach tree by making it kindof an understory tree, with some taller trees to the south that don't block the sun and definitely some pine trees maybe 20 feet to the west to block any storms. Just this afternoon, I was checking on some holly that I stuffed into some compost (bc I forgot to plant it last Fall), and they have grown, PLUS, I still have some green leaves on one of my black raspberry bushes. We have had -12F weather this winter and a lot of wind, but these are right next to the south foundation of my garage and well protected.
There is NOTHING as sweet as a peach picked from your tree. You'll swear that somebody drenched it with sugar.

Latest posts